Design By Hümans Presents, The Photo Real Contest
From the first pinhole camera to you snapping madly on your smart phone, photography has always been an important part of life. Whether it's storing fond memories or capturing your friend's cat for the latest meme, humans have always loved photography. That's why we feel it's time to give the photographers of the world a chance to win some cool cash prizes.
We challenge YOU to design a T-shirt centered on photography. Take YOUR photography and make it into the next big fashion item. Have fun with it, make us laugh or make us cry, snap the next iconic image of our decade or send a message to the masses with words, keep it simple or go insane, you just need a photograph as the focal point and your mind for imagination. Submissions will be judged on the photography used, the incorporation of creative photography and overall creative reaction to the brief set. Take up yee cameras and make with the snappy snappy! We expect great things and we know you won't disappoint.
- 1st Place
- 2nd Place
- 3rd Place
$750 + Goodie bag
- November 9, 2012
Contest & Voting begins
- November 30, 2012
- December 10th-12th, 2012Winners are announced
- Participants can submit as many designs as they want, no limit.
- This design must be 100% your own work, please do not submit photography that is produced by someone else. Proof of original source material may be required to be eligible to win prizes.
- DO NOT use images directly taken from a third party/ use protected symbols/logos or characters that may have copyright protection.
- DO get creative; but remember your design MUST contain photography in your art.
- All submissions will be approved/rejected at DBH's discretion. If your design is rejected you will be given a reason why.
- Maximum size for artwork is 14" x 19" and there are no exceptions. Number of colors is unlimited for this contest.
Using Real Photography in T-shirt art:
When using photography as part of T-shirt design the key is to get creative. Here are a few ways photography has been used to drive trends and creative interesting/unique tees.
Examples of Manipulated Photography
Taking elements of photography and manipulating (changing) them. For example taking a photograph of a human body and adding a photograph of a tiger's head. Mixing elements from different sources or changing one element within a photograph is referred to as Photograph manipulation.
Examples of Art and Photography
Another cool way to use photography is to mix art into your photo. So taking a photograph of a penguin and adding sunglasses and a hat that were drawn on can make a funny and cool T-shirt design.
Examples of Using typography and photography
Using mixed elements of photography within text can create very cool and trendy results.
Examples of Photographic collage
This technique is not new, it's been used for decades to create cool collage effects. KennyBanzai (https://www.designbyhumans.com/profile/kennybanzai) and Casajordi (https://www.designbyhumans.com/profile/casajordi) are both masters of this technique. If you want something funky and surreal in your portfolio maybe this technique is for you. Give it a whirl, what's the worst that can happen?
Examples of Plain Good ole Photography
A great picture is a great picture. "A picture tells a thousand words" When you see an amazing photograph that is untouched and perfect all on it's own it can blow your mind. Are you an amazing photographer? Then just submit your photo on a tee, simple. No need to dress up a great photo, right?