How to become great

thestray
posted by thestray • 4 years ago

http://zenhabits.net/2009/11/the-only-way-to-become-amazingly-great-at-something/

Nice little article someone posted at emptees. Surprise surprise the secret is lots and lots of practice. For a long time. I notice a lot of beginners that seem very impatient and expect to have success tomorrow. But the truth is, being good doesn’t come quick or easy. It’s a lot of hard work and time. It’s taken me most of my life just to become adequate, and maybe in a few more years I’ll be really good if I’m diligent enough. There are no shortcuts. Although there is a theory that if you eat someone’s brains you gain all their knowledge and skills, but I don’t think it’s been tested.

16 Replies

starry_eyez starry_eyez Artist from Sri Lanka

Thanks for sharing it man,really good stuff.. going to read it fully

love this

“When the world says, “Give up,”
Hope whispers, “Try it one more time.”
~Author Unknown”

asher2789 asher2789 Artist from United States

how to become great…. become the stray.

zerobriant zerobriant Artist from Cebu City, Philippines

amzing thestray and thank you..

“It takes desire, it takes drive, it takes lots and lots of doing.” :D

jimiyo jimiyo Artist from United States

nice article!

Tiny.Cue.Cards Tiny.Cue.Cards Artist from

We could test that theory, you know. Want to meet for a “collab” session? = O

Bohemiantoe Bohemiantoe Artist from

Mick Foley quote: “you know you’re getting somewhere when you look at your work and think you suck. If you think it’s brilliant you got a problem.”

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Bohemiantoe said: Mick Foley quote: “you know you’re getting somewhere when you look at your work and think you suck. If you think it’s brilliant you got a problem.”

Haha, there’s nothing sadder than someone who’s really terrible but thinks they’re amazing.

I suppose so – but define terrible, you know? It’s all subjective. Some of my work that I think sucks, other people love. Weird.

Bohemiantoe said: I suppose so – but define terrible, you know? It’s all subjective. Some of my work that I think sucks, other people love. Weird.

“It’s all subjective” just means that some people don’t know terrible when they see it (or make it). If someone has no idea of what they’re doing, their work doesn’t exhibit even a rudimentary understanding of anatomy, proportion, form, line, shape, composition, value, color, perspective, texture, emphasis, balance, etc etc etc… then I’d define that as terrible.

Tiny.Cue.Cards Tiny.Cue.Cards Artist from
thestray said:
Bohemiantoe said: I suppose so – but define terrible, you know? It’s all subjective. Some of my work that I think sucks, other people love. Weird.

“It’s all subjective” just means that some people don’t know terrible when they see it (or make it). If someone has no idea of what they’re doing, their work doesn’t exhibit even a rudimentary understanding of anatomy, proportion, form, line, shape, composition, value, color, perspective, texture, emphasis, balance, etc etc etc… then I’d define that as terrible.

Well said, you have to know the rules to break them effectively

gilmoreart gilmoreart Artist from United States

Taking around 16 figure drawing classes when I was in college helped more then all other classes combined. practice practice practice.

Tiny.Cue.Cards said:
thestray said:

I respectively disagree :) but you just described some (alleged) masterpieces that others would call crap :) 1000 people bragging on an a piece of work ( of any artform) does not make it any better or worse than a Picasso or someone’s design on this site. (which knowing some of Picasso works – I see better here. lol)

Bohemiantoe said:
Tiny.Cue.Cards said:
thestray said:

I respectively disagree :) but you just described some (alleged) masterpieces that others would call crap :) 1000 people bragging on an a piece of work ( of any artform) does not make it any better or worse than a Picasso or someone’s design on this site. (which knowing some of Picasso works – I see better here. lol)

What alleged masterpieces do you think I described? And who said anything about a 1,000 people bragging?

You can look at work, and if you understand what you’re looking at, see that an artist’s anatomy (for example) looks distorted not because they intend it to be, but because they don’t have the skill or knowledge to do it any better yet. When you can look at work and see, blatantly, that the artist has no clue of what they’re doing… that’s not good work. I can’t think of a single masterpiece that falls under that category.

Someone can just say “it’s all subjective” and think that everything they do is just fine the way it is. More power to them. I wish them luck with that. But I think in general successful artists work towards a standard and dedicate themselves to mastering the elements of art. They learn to see the flaws in their work and know that they can be better. And yes, some break the rules. But there’s a huge huge difference between breaking the rules and trying to follow them but failing, and you can easily see it.

Art is subjective. But that doesn’t mean you can’t tell when someone is failing at what they’re trying to accomplish.

no no you misunderstood. All I said from the beginning was people’s opinion of art is subjective. I’m not the one who then described what “subjective” meant, that was you – and your definition of it in the context of the subject, is inaccurate. I used that word in its common definition thereof.
When I said define terrible – that was not a direct question to you specifically but just in general – like define what junk is (when someone else thinks its treasure)

Savvy?

Well I have no idea what you’re talking about then, and I’m no longer interested.

Anyway, work hard kids. It takes time. A lot of it.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember