Limited Edition Tank Tops

The Golden Rule

thestray
posted by thestray • 4 years ago

I’m sure your mom or dad, or maybe your grandma once told you “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” There’s also what we call the golden rule “Treat others the way you want to be treated.” I bring this up because I notice that in comments sometimes people can be unnecessarily rude or snarky with their comments about the artwork. I don’t understand the mentality of “I don’t like this shirt, so I better make sure I insult it so the artist knows that.” Why not just pass it up? What is anybody going to get out of you simply typing “Meh.”? What do you get out of that?

Now I’m not saying every comment should be ass-kissy, pretty much everyone who hangs out in the forum knows by now that I believe in honest critiques. But there’s a huge difference between a critique and just being spiteful.

I obviously have no control over what people say, it’s just something I wanted to bring up, and wanted to encourage people to at least be constructive with their comments if they don’t care for a design. Your choice of course. We all have the right to be douchebags if we want to and leave disrespectful comments on people’s designs. But is that what you want to use your freedom of speech for? To try to bring somebody down a peg who’s only crime is trying to share their art with others?

I’ll step down from my soapbox now. AS YOU WERE!

27 Replies

jktskrg jktskrg Artist from

yes…I usually passed the design that I didn’t like…better than giving the artist rude comment….

BondageBoyScout BondageBoyScout Human from

Some people confuse criticism for outright rudeness. I have played both roles of complimentary and critic. Some artists ask for suggestions and the readers interpretation is to give critical advice and without knowing they are doing so, can slip in some words that when read by others can be viewed as rude- I’m a regular shopper here and if any of the artists interpret my words as rude I’ll appologize for that here. I know I’ve said in certain shirt introductions to the winners circle that this particular design isn’t as deserving as another, that doesn’t mean that the design is unattractive, I realize that it must be to some else it wouldn’t have won ;) Now if I’m confusing critiscism for blatant rudeness, then I appologize..I don’t believe I’ve ever called anyones designs fucking unworthy of even a rough sketch. lets also not forget that peoples words can contain sarcasm or bits of humor that may be interpreted as rude but in their mind aren’t mean’t as cruel. “Meh”- decent, not great could use some work. I too appreciate the atmosphere of DBH, so don’t introduce your friends to it..People who have a genuine appreciation for design and troll the internet for unique t’s will find it on their own. Eh, just ranting..Good day to you all, while we still have some warm days and a summer/autumnal for insight/a muse.

sweetP sweetP Artist from

yea, i do think its rude to tell someone their design was not as deserving of a win. That’s so kanye.

BondageBoyScout BondageBoyScout Human from

I hope that saying doesn’t stick around too long. Kanye was wrong to get up on stage but it’s not the first incident like that which has occured on M.T,V or any award show for that matter. I was surprised to see it even covered as a major news event in some Euro countries. Pop Country is bad anyways..once they get tired of a hybrid genre country-crunk country-blues, country-emo, well then they’ll look for the next genre they haven’t tackled..Was never a big country fan, but the older stuff up to late 1980’s was good.

ChefRAZ ChefRAZ Artist from

StagnantLife said: I hope that saying doesn’t stick around too long. Kanye was wrong to get up on stage but it’s not the first incident like that which has occured on M.T,V or any award show for that matter. I was surprised to see it even covered as a major news event in some Euro countries. Pop Country is bad anyways..once they get tired of a hybrid genre country-crunk country-blues, country-emo, well then they’ll look for the next genre they haven’t tackled..Was never a big country fan, but the older stuff up to late 1980’s was good.
sounds like your talking about rap. It does the same thing, trying to ruin as much real music as it can.

sweetP sweetP Artist from
StagnantLife said: I hope that saying doesn’t stick around too long. Kanye was wrong to get up on stage but it’s not the first incident like that which has occured on M.T,V or any award show for that matter. I was surprised to see it even covered as a major news event in some Euro countries. Pop Country is bad anyways..once they get tired of a hybrid genre country-crunk country-blues, country-emo, well then they’ll look for the next genre they haven’t tackled..Was never a big country fan, but the older stuff up to late 1980’s was good.

actually it sounds like youre avoiding (or deflecting) what i was really saying. which is that it is definitely rude and uncalled for to tell someone that their design is not deserving of a win.

biotwist biotwist Artist from new jersey, United States

If i’m not snarky every once ion awhile I would simply die :)

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember