Photoshop Tools!

burnoneLTD
posted by burnoneLTD • 5 years ago

Thought I’d put up yet another post! This time inorder to get a discussion on everyone’s favorite tools for Photoshop or Illustrator. Just “shop” talk to inform artists of the tools and add-ons that are out there for these two wonderful programs. I’ll start off the post with the “Stumpy Pencil” tool. Many of you probably know what this is because…it’s just an awesome tool. What is the stumpy pencil tool, you may ask? Well it’s basically a paintbrush that comes out like sketching pencils…it is awesome!! I’m noticing alot of people doing the whole draw on paper then scan thing…don’t get me wrong, I still do that too at times…but the stumpy pencil tool has cut that down a bit. NOTE: You’ll probably want to have a pen tablet, as this tool is pressure sensitive. It is a free downloadable tool easily found. Let me know what you think!

13 Replies

chev chev Artist from United States

ohh nice.. ill have a look at it.. AFTER I BUY A TABLET :p

no but i think my fav tool would be the built in mighty pen tool in photoshop.. just works with everything.. and a brush set – grunge by tazni- i think u can find it on deviant art.. that is very nice aswell.. shud check it out..

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Never heard of it, I’m going to look that up and try it.

Oddeti Oddeti Artist from

Mac Only This isn’t necessarily a photoshop or illustrator tool, but I’ll post it anyways.

http://www.lostminds.com/content/index.php

Vectoraster is an awesome halftone app where you can easily create custom vector halftones out of any image. You can use the standard halftone shapes (round, line, diamond, etc.), or create your own custom halftone shapes.

INTRO INTRO Artist from

Oddeti said: Mac Only This isn’t necessarily a photoshop or illustrator tool, but I’ll post it anyways.

http://www.lostminds.com/content/index.php

Vectoraster is an awesome halftone app where you can easily create custom vector halftones out of any image. You can use the standard halftone shapes (round, line, diamond, etc.), or create your own custom halftone shapes.

definitlty going to check that out :0
thanks man
also that stumpy pencil looks interesting (just missing a tablet)

What I like the most is the illustratortool where you can subtract add divide and everything
can’t come up with the name

EDIT; that rasterthing isn’t freeware :(
it’s not much but man I got almost no money.
Have to come around for the month with hundred dollars right now :s

bluemonkey bluemonkey Artist from

does anyone have any guides for the pen tool on illustrator ?

i can use it but i seem to struggle.

i think im doing it wrong.

anyone no of any tutorials or anything?

INTRO INTRO Artist from

Well I can’t give you links.
But when you browse on deviantart and youtube It could help you a bit.

PLUS this is also an awesome site to help you get started
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/

bluemonkey said: does anyone have any guides for the pen tool on illustrator ?

i can use it but i seem to struggle.

i think im doing it wrong.

anyone no of any tutorials or anything?

This may help you out. http://www.gomediazine.com/tutorials/from-sketch-to-vector-illustration/#more-116

bluemonkey bluemonkey Artist from

thanks guys :)

burnoneLTD burnoneLTD Artist from Korea, Republic of

Definitely get your “pen tool” knowledge up…I think the way the pen tool is set up on Illustrator makes it a bit more complicated to understand (all the different pen tools: add, delete plot points, convert…etc)...but if you have your shortcuts ready you can move & work more fluidly…

ChefRAZ ChefRAZ Artist from

burnoneLTD said: Definitely get your “pen tool” knowledge up…I think the way the pen tool is set up on Illustrator makes it a bit more complicated to understand (all the different pen tools: add, delete plot points, convert…etc)...but if you have your shortcuts ready you can move & work more fluidly…
yep, on illustrator and photoshop you need to get the shortcuts down ‘specally if ya have a tablet those buttons make your life easier. I love to draw a path and use the transform tool a lot, maybe too much.

FluentSword FluentSword Artist from

For anyone that’s looking to improve their program knowledge Lynda.com is a great way to get started. The basic membership is $25 a month, but it’s completely worth it. You can learn nearly any program that exists from all the new CS4 stuff to Excel to html.

I don’t use Photoshop for much other that color-correcting, but the History Brush is pretty rad for adding texture. The Palette Knife in Corel Painter is awesome, easily my favorite tool. It’s great for blending or shaping and you can create lines with a lot of character. I was not a huge fan of Illustrator’s pen tool until CS3, but they finally worked the kinks out. I love how you can double click a group and open it in it’s own window.

ChefRAZ ChefRAZ Artist from

FluentSword said: For anyone that’s looking to improve their program knowledge Lynda.com is a great way to get started. The basic membership is $25 a month, but it’s completely worth it. You can learn nearly any program that exists from all the new CS4 stuff to Excel to html.

I don’t use Photoshop for much other that color-correcting, but the History Brush is pretty rad for adding texture. The Palette Knife in Corel Painter is awesome, easily my favorite tool. It’s great for blending or shaping and you can create lines with a lot of character. I was not a huge fan of Illustrator’s pen tool until CS3, but they finally worked the kinks out. I love how you can double click a group and open it in it’s own window.

yup when you buy ps or ill online you get a month free of coarses, in in the middle right now trying to cram in as much as
I can till it’s over. linda.com is the beef.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission