Type is Art

ritzh
posted by ritzh • 5 years ago

www.typeisart.com

unleash your creativity.. create something out of elements from parts of characters.

printscreen your work and post it here =)

heres mine:

thanks to sir Jowee (Team Manila) for the link,

32 Replies

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Yeah! On her vagina!

terabyte terabyte Artist from

^ hey hey family-friendly site… ^

ritzh ritzh Artist from Philippines

Haha! I think DBH staff will kill us! Hahaha!

terabyte terabyte Artist from

nah they’ll only kill thestray

Haha! My typo won got accepted/won here in PH! hehe.. Just got the result today! =) so it might be printed here.

thestray thestray Artist from United States
terabyte said: ^ hey hey family-friendly site… ^

Vaginas aren’t family friendly? That’s where families come from! Our moms and wives and sisters and grandmas have em! ...ew, bad mental picture. I apologize.

thestray said:
terabyte said: ^ hey hey family-friendly site… ^

Vaginas aren’t family friendly? That’s where families come from! Our moms and wives and sisters and grandmas have em! ...ew, bad mental picture. I apologize.

lol! haha

^??? I dont see any negative comments in these threads… Actually I think that your design might be chosen as one of the winners..

Dont get your art be affected by someone, just because they said something negative.. Its not you between them.. Its between you and your art.. We have different perspective, taste and opinions.. just keep doing your thing.. And sometimes bad comments helps..

FluentSword FluentSword Artist from
burnoneLTD said: sorry, not in this thread…it was typography work that I did for the Lil Wayne contest. I do have another typography portrait I did of Biggie Smalls that I submitted here close to a year ago (why don’t people check it and notice that I didn’t just start doing a typography thing with the Lil Wayne contest?!)...and people are hating on my concept for the Lil Wayne design bringing up examples of typography work done within the recent months. I guess I’m just pissed cause saying that I’m “ripping off” or not “original” just makes me think you’re saying “oh! you’re design was easy…you’re biting…you’re copying…ignorance…

You will never improve as an artist if you don’t sacrifice your ego and view your work objectively. It’s important for every artist to know and accept their work as flawed. You can be proud to have accomplished a piece, but never blindly loyal to it. EVERY comment helps. Whether or not you like how it’s phrased there is something there to be learned. And quite frankly, anything you hear here is going to be tame compared to the things clients and critics will tell you in a professional setting. You have to take it all with a grain of salt and continue to create. Getting defensive about your work doesn’t help anyone. You also have to accept the fact that just maybe you DID inadvertently copy the Grammy ads. The subconscious is incredibly powerful. Your brain literally makes millions of decisions every second and you are aware of only a very small percentage of them. If you see something it’s stored in your gray matter somewhere.

Whether or not your work is different, conceptually they are the same. And I think if you look at all those examples with an objective eye you’ll see that the executions of Evan Roth and the Grammy ads are better. That’s not about being positive or negative, it’s about being honest. Use that to get better, to constantly challenge yourself.

FluentSword FluentSword Artist from

Well it’s pretty obvious that people made the connection with Lil’ Wayne because there was a popular analog with the same artist. Whether or not you made the Biggie piece a year ago is not really important. Typographic portraits are not a new idea and I think my point still stands in that vein. It’s not impossible that you saw some other typographic portrait and the idea was buried in your subconscious. I’m not accusing you of anything. I’m simply saying that there’s no point in defending your originality in this idea when the idea is not original. I’m sure if you did a google image search for “Typographic Portrait” you’d find all the evidence you desire. It’s important to point out that this also applies to the Grammy Ads and Even Roth’s stuff. They are no more or less original conceptually than your stuff. Personally I have no problem with that. I think it makes sense within the context of the competition. I don’t consider Lil’ Wayne to be a conceptually revolutionary rapper.

I’m not sure why you make the legibility argument to be honest. In the Grammy ads none of the copy overlaps and there are several words that are clearly visible in a moments glance. This is accomplished by both the choice of font and the use of surrounding space to lead the eye. Which again, goes to execution. Execution is in a minimal way an issue of opinion, but I would say that it’s a very technical consideration. Execution is a question of clarity and craft. And in an objective survey I think it’s fair to say that both the Grammy and Evan Roth pieces would score higher in those categories.

You can’t expect everyone to be constructive. It’s unfair to do so. This is not a refrigerator in your kitchen anymore, this is the public. There are a lot of unseemly individuals out there, and honestly that’s fine. Variety is the spice of life.

It’s possible they are jealous. But it’s also possible that they just see a valid point and spoke it. Using derogatory language does not change that.

starry_eyez starry_eyez Artist from Sri Lanka

terabyte said:
ritzh said:

Im still thinking what should I do with this design.. =)

I like where you placed the peace sign. haha.

huh…cool..but if that sign placed as a belly button it could be awesome too.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember