Limited Edition Tank Tops

"Should I Work for Free?"

thestray
posted by thestray • 3 years ago

I thought this was funny, cool and informative http://shouldiworkforfree.com/ especially with so many young artists thinking it’s a good idea to do something for nothing to get ahead.

23 Replies

OmegaMan5000 OmegaMan5000 Artist from United States

‘Should I work for free?’

short answer: No.

long answer: Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no!

lindsayerinn lindsayerinn Artist from United States

deaddreamer said: @thestray: i already wanted to let this go, but somehow but your reply is still buzzing in your head, so i just want to point out my view on art:

art is something that has a spark of universal truth, a glimpse of something that has not been before. i would not be so daft to say that my stuff is art. they are illustrations that are made to be on apparel, so there is a practical approach to it. it has to fit the canvas of the shirt and has to be done according to the guidelines about what is possible in terms of apparel printing. this is why i came up with the term design proposal. art is something that future generations will try to grasp. Things that persist.

I take great pride in what i am doing, I am putting my heart and soul into my stuff and if i would not do that I would not present it to a broader audience.

If you’re putting your heart and soul into your work, then that’s art, my friend. There is no real and true definition for the word “art.” The Dada movement was all about “found art,” things that someone literally found laying around, put their name on, put it on a pedestal, and displayed it. One Dadaist actually wrote his name on a urinal and displayed it at an art show. I personally don’t understand the point of the movement, but every artist associated with it had a vision and passionately believed in themselves and their work. Thus, it is art.

thestray thestray Artist from United States

I respect that deaddreamer. Personally, I’m sort of the opposite, I’m not a person who puts “art” up on a pedestal or consider it to be this exalted transcendent thing. It can be universal, it can be personal, it can be practical, it can be indulgent. I just don’t believe in putting limits on what is art. “i would not be so daft to say that my stuff is art. they are illustrations that are made to be on apparel, so there is a practical approach to it. it has to fit the canvas of the shirt and has to be done according to the guidelines about what is possible in terms of apparel printing. “ I don’t see how that makes it not art. No matter what you’re creating there’s no way to make art without any constraints, painting on canvas has constraints. Sculpting has it’s constraints. No matter what your imagination comes up with you’re bound by your medium.

“something that future generations will try to grasp. Things that persist.” “something that has a spark of universal truth that has not been before” ...I think these are rather lofty, ambiguous and really arbitrary qualifications. I have to ask “Why?” why is that what art is?

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember