Hand painting tees

moonsrise
posted by moonsrise • 5 years ago

I’m designing a series of hand-painted tees and am wondering what type of paint to use. Any advice would be most humbly appreciated.

16 Replies

lastsoundtrack lastsoundtrack Artist from Canada

I would go with acrylic paint…it dries faster, nice saturated colors and if you make a mistake you can modify it easily.

jimiyo jimiyo Artist from United States

I’ve seen some really awesome shirts using bleach on dark shirts. Alhtough you cant control its color, it discharges very well into a white or tan

bortwein bortwein Artist from Texas, United States

jimiyo said: I’ve seen some really awesome shirts using bleach on dark shirts. Alhtough you cant control its color, it discharges very well into a white or tan

I have some shirts I should try this on.

asher2789 asher2789 Artist from United States

ive done bleach!

my tips are…

1. get bleach pens, a spray bottle, bleach, a glass jar… pretty much, dilute the the bleach as much as possible – like 80% water 20% bleach should be good. i said spray bottle in case you wanna stencil some designs – if your set on doing stuff freehand, then a brand new crappy paintbrush that you will only use with bleach and some bleach pens should be sufficient. dont use brushes that have touched paint before – it might explode or do something crazy!

2. put a large piece of cardboard inside your shirt so your design only goes on the front of the shirt insead of bleeding through

3. be patient – the bleach takes a while to start reacting with the colour in the fibers – so dont put a lot on, paint/draw in very thin layers. if you ignore this, your shirt will get holes! and lots of holes.

4. if you want to do one colour (duh, whiteish) gradients, work in super thin layers, let dry, and go over. you might even want to dilute your bleach even more to 10% bleach 90% water if you plan on doing really nice details.

5. bleach pens cant be diluted, but the amount of pressure you use while drawing will show up, the harder and slower you make a line the whiter and thicker it will be.

6. bleach bleeds, a lot. your design will look a lot different once it is done then what you are expecting.. but that can be cool.

7. work in a very ventilated area, preferably outside. i promise you, if you ignore this, youll get really nasty headaches!

8. i almost forgot, dont leave the bleach on too long – get some crappy white hand towels to absorb off some of the bleach. also wash it for the first time by itself or with white towels or things you dont care about. dont dry it either, drying makes holes happen quicker.

thats my shirt that i made – its still wet in the pic – i did it all with a clorox bleach pen. my biggest mistake was putting on too much bleach too fast – those ribs became super white! but eventually almost anywhere that it was really white became a really big hole!

i also bought some RIT black liquid shirt dye… im gonna try that out one of these days with a white shirt. id assume that diluting it with water a lot would be a good idea if you wanna work greyscale instead of just black and white..

thank asher, great advice.

moonsrise moonsrise Human from
lastsoundtrack said: I would go with acrylic paint…it dries faster, nice saturated colors and if you make a mistake you can modify it easily.

Is there a specific type of acrylic paint or bonding agent that is needed to keep the paint on the shirt — i.e. will the paint stay on the shirt when it is washed or is some other step needed?

Thanks.

doesn’t anyone use google anymore?

sorry, just saying it is a very useful tool for finding out answers to questions.

Jesus_Calvillo Jesus_Calvillo Artist from

There are some really good fabric markers by “Deco” they are pretty sweet. I used them to paint some canvas shoes a while back they work really well cause after they dry they don’t crack like regular acrylic do.

You can find them at pretty much any art supply store. I found mine at “Micheal’s” I would definitively recommend them.

Here is a pic of the shoes I made. These shoes used to be completely WHITE.

^those are hot!

LeonSarpa LeonSarpa Artist from

aloha,
for hand printed T’s i recommend using fabric specific paints that heat cure for permanence seeing as your going to be washing them a few times,
i’ve used permaset aqua fabric paints and have found them good to work with and have a good colour range and are water based which is nice for wash up,but there are a bunch of brands to play with,if your going on black or a dark colour you will need to use either a supercoat or heavier paint as the paint is to sit onto rather than sink into the shirt,but once you search the paints you’ll tailor your knowledge to your needs and find the various paints and additives…

to cure your image;
the optimum is a tunnel dryer if you have access to one,
but if not an iron will suffice if it is a small run with not to much print area,
alternatively you can take your shirts down to the laundromat and throw them in an industrial dryer.
i think optimum curing temperature is 180 C for 4-5 mins but check the specs…
also take into factor the thickness that you apply your paint as this will effect curing times…
hope this helps a little

peace

Rkdoo Rkdoo Artist from Bucharest, Romania
check out my Paint your Universe design http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/73795
ovenrude ovenrude Artist from

Use screen printing inks designed for apparel. You can paint it through the stencil just the same as using a squeegee through a screen.

UnikInk UnikInk Artist from

I would buy a discharge ink set with discharge base, pigments, and activator powder. This way you could use the waterbased ink on both lights and darks. You just wouldn’t add the powder to the ink for light shirts. You would also need a conveyor dryer, flash cure unit, or heat gun at the very least to cure the ink. http://www.westixonline.com/discharge-starter-kit.html. I wouldn’t use bleach. As mentioned, it compromises the integrity of the fabric.

biotwist biotwist Artist from new jersey, United States

bortwein said: doesn’t anyone use google anymore?

sorry, just saying it is a very useful tool for finding out answers to questions.

but google will allways give you a lot of miss information too.. its allays easier to deal with real people… well not allways

District District Human from

Have you seen this article? Have you considered spray paint? You’ll probably have to create a stencil, though.

http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/create-a-custom-t-shirt-stencil-design

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember