Inspiration, but no software...

freqazoid
posted by freqazoid • 1 year ago

Hi everyone! I have always wanted to submit a design, but unfortunately, I don’t have the passion to go out and buy a program that I may ultimately waste my money on. So instead, would it be suitable, or commonplace, to submit artwork or photography and have another dbh user use it to make a shirt. As far as giving credit where it’s due, I would only want my dbh username mentioned and possible dbh dollars if it wins anything. Anything I submit would be my work.

What would you do?

5 Replies

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

Hi Freqazoid,

You don’t have to rely on other people to make your art. There are some alternatives to buying programs but I can’t personally say I have used them. I would always recommend that artists invest in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop (both if your budget allows) if they want to be serious T-shirt designers. However there are a few free options online that are a good place to try things out. Here is a list of results from googling Free alternatives to Adode illustrator – I can’t vouch for any of them but it seems like a good starting point.
Also I believe Adobe still do free trial period downloads for both Illustrator and Photoshop. Problem is you’ll probably fall in love with them just as the trail period expires :( I hope this helps.

freqazoid freqazoid Human from FL, United States

Thanks, Wotto.
Your shirts are amazing and your calavera hoodie is on my wish list. As a possible hobby, I’ll try a trial version when this school semester ends. I may not make the photography contest but I’ve been here long enough to know that the daily contests are where it’s at. Thanks again for your support!

I’m going to try each free program on the list and I’ll talk about each one in a new thread. Of course, I won’t be able to compare them to any adobe products but I’m sure there are artists like myself who wish to express something onto a 100% cotton canvas.

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

That would be awesome if you had the time to review each. That would be very helpful for new designers.

Anything to help. I feel loyal to Design By Humans so I’ll find the time just to do so.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember