Limited Edition Tank Tops

Super simple Ai Question

Ampix0
posted by Ampix0 • 2 years ago

Stupid simepl question. sorry I am a photoshop guy much more than anything. I am trying to take a shape and kind of divide it up neatly similar to what i quickly outlined in Ps just to demonstrate. I need the shape divided into paths like this (imagine the white lines are paths.)

5 Replies

lunatorium lunatorium Artist from United States

If you just want the white lines and not the black, then I would trace over the white lines with the pen tool, creating line segments, and set the stroke to whatever thickness you want.

If you want the black area between the lines, then you can open the image in Illustrator, select it, and go to Object > Live Trace > Tracing Options. Then set the options to get it to look as closely as you want it to, then click Trace. Then go back to Object > Live Trace and select “Expand.” Then you can ungroup all the separated shapes and adjust them however you like.

I hope that helps, and if you’d be willing to take a quick look at my first design here on the forum, I’d be very appreciative! Thank you!

Ampix0 Ampix0 Artist from NJ, United States

Thanks for the help but the black shape is actually a path in illustrator, a rectangle. I need to now split the path into these various paths. see what I mean?

Then what you need to do is draw the shapes below the rectangle – as shapes, not line segments, so they need to connect. It would probably be easier to draw them on top of it then move the rectangle to the top. Then select all of them, including the rectangle, and go to Object > Clipping Mask > Create Clipping Mask and it will clip the outer edges of the individual shapes so all you see are the shapes inside of the “frame.”

It will all be grouped, so you can double click on anything inside the group to isolate the group and modify the individual shapes.

Ampix0 Ampix0 Artist from NJ, United States

Alright ill give it a go :)

I hope it works!

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember