Artists - Know The Rules of Submitting

wotto
posted by wotto • 1 year ago

Hello all,

Yesterday we were alerted to the Shirt of the Day design being made up from a vector pack.
Inkong’s design Melted Survival

and
Vector genius’s Tiger Vector

The terms of use of this graphic state clearly that it cannot be resold and copyright will remain with Vector Genius.
ARTISTS – You need to read the Terms and Conditions of all the images you use. It is not OK to take another persons art, a copyrighted photograph or a vector that has complex T&Cs attached to it.

It is your responsibility as an artist to check these details.

In this particular case the good people of Vector Genius where very understanding and we worked it out so that they would be compensated for their trouble. The artist will not receive payment for the design.

In the past two weeks I have had to remove one artist for plagiarism and now this too.

Know that our community is very vigilant and you will get caught.

Know the rules and play by them. Design By Humans has a zero tolerance for this kind of thing and if you rip another person/company they will receive the prize money as they are the rightful owner.

Thanks for reading and let’s not have this happen again, it makes me angry and sad all at the same time. I have permanent cry face right now!

wotto

10 Replies

graphicollapse graphicollapse Artist from garut, Indonesia

I think dbh site need a button link for “report” design,.not only a button link for spamming comment, So we can report the artwork of plagiarism,traced art from another artist,and the submission that using vector pack pack for submission…, good luck DBH,

angoes angoes Artist from Semarang City, Indonesia

@wotto … i’m sorry sir

ADAMLAWLESS ADAMLAWLESS Artist from Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Oh wow,....noted that, tks.

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Unfortunately using vector packs is so prevalent amongst up and coming designers, and most of them just assume they can use them however they wish (that or they don’t care). I always encourage artists to work on their drawing skills so they don’t feel like they need to rely on external material. Most often I think stuff created from vector packs comes off looking generic, while people like Megan Lara, Winterartwork, and Wotto who display skill and a distinct style will always stand out over that kind of stuff. Those are my feelings on the matter. It seems like a lot of people want to reap the rewards of having shirts printed, but not enough people want to put in the hard work to be good at it.

Firmjarvis Firmjarvis Artist from Surabaya, Indonesia

hmm…No wonder … I am also familiar with the form of the tiger design

Williams1 Williams1 Artist from FL, United States

Isn’t that whats the program used for? The last time I was here, someone posted a tutorial on how to do a t shirts design in 10min and he used images of the internet. So what about images of the internet ?

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

@Williams1 – What you are referring to is one of two things. 1.) Referencing images to make your art. 2.) Pulling images off the web that don’t belong to you and tracing them or filtering them. The 2nd is frowned upon but does happen.

As for the ‘Vector “Free” or bought art packs’ You can use them as an individual but you cannot sell them onto another company. The original artist at the vector company owns the rights to the art. Therefore, when you enter it into our contest and we buy it from you you break their terms because legally you have sold their art onto us.

Summary
Referencing – OK (looking at the image to create your own)
Tracing images – Not cool
Filtering found images – Not cool and violates copyright of the photograph.
Using vector packs – OK for you personally but don’t enter them into Design By Humans contests.

The-sastra The-sastra Artist from west borneo, Indonesia

this case made me feel so sad, made a great design need a few days, but still didn’t got print here. meanwhile, when saw someone used a stock and got a printed, honestly i just feel so errrrggg #sorry for my bad english :p

thesimplyshit thesimplyshit Artist from Malacca, Malaysia, Singapore

OPSSSSss…

iamrobman iamrobman Artist from Batangas CIty, Philippines

:(

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission