DBH Model Performs for MTV Movie Awards

DBHstaff
posted by DBHstaff • 3 years ago

Not only is DBH a proud supporter of our talented artists, but we are also huge fans of every contributor to our website. We are lucky to have multi-talented humans on our team and are so ecstatic to share the talents of one of our featured models, Z.A.N.E.

Z.A.N.E. is a Southern California based rapper/producer who brings hip-hop back to its essentials with honest wit and provocative poetic flair. Z.A.N.E. has been active in the music scene since 1998. Now teaming up with M.O.T. and producer 8 Bit Bandit, Z.A.N.E. is working on the release of his new album entitled “King of the Sandbox.” Z.A.N.E.’s influences range from classical to folk, from the obscure to the mainstream, resulting in a style that transcends traditional genres.

Read how Z.A.N.E got involved with DBH and his music.

So Z.A.N.E., how did you hear about DBH?

The Internets. When you search for “cool artistic shirts” DBH pops up as the first hit. I am forever indebted to Google for helping me find you guys.

How did you get involved with DBH as a model?

It was pretty much serendipity. I did a photo shoot with Sherman Lee (a good friend of Deedee and Lisa’s) for my album cover, and happened to be wearing a DBH shirt (Z.A.N.E. had been a long time customer of DBH). Then, through a stroke of luck, somebody at DBH saw the pictures, and I guess they thought I’d be good for the job. I’ve never done any modeling before, so it was a bit awkward for me at first…but I’ll do anything for free shirts.

Does Z.A.N.E. stand for anything?

It’s pretty much a secret, but I will tell you that it’s strikingly similar to my real name. I just added some punctuation to make me seem a bit more mysterious. As for the meaning behind the name, I was hoping that people would come up with their own ideas for what it stands for. I’ve heard a few ideas that were noteworthy: Zebras Always Need Enchiladas, Zealous Agoraphobics Navigate Everywhere, and Zulu Avocados Never Expire. Maybe, in the future, if I’m feeling nice, I’ll let the world know what it means.

Awesome, so you’ve recently performed at the GBK Gift Lounge for the 2011 MTV Movie Awards, how was that experience?

It was an amazing opportunity, and I was humbled by the experience. At first, it was pretty surreal performing for celebrities, but by the time my first song was over, I felt as comfortable as a kid in pajamas watching Saturday morning cartoons. As for the crowd response, everything went really well. Not only did people love my sets, but I also got an onstage fistbump from a Laker and a handshake from Flava Flav. I couldn’t have asked for a more awesome experience.

How would you describe the type of music you create?

It’s kind of hard to fit what I do into preexisting subgenres of hip-hop, so I’ve decided to create a new one altogether. It’s called Flexo. The name has no meaning whatsoever, but it sounded cool, so it stuck. As for the music I make, I’d like to call myself a storyteller. I put a lot of thought into the content of my songs, and try to remain honest and introspective, while at the same time keeping it fun and witty. My ultimate goal is to convey a universal message that can resonate with anyone.

What is the inspiration behind your music and who are your influences?

I’m inspired by what I see and experience. Sometimes when going about my day, I’ll notice something that really impacts or interests me, and the only way to get it out of my head is to write it down and put it into song. It’s similar when making instrumentals too. Something I feel during the day will set the tone for what type of song I’ll compose. I’ll get a melody stuck in my head, and I won’t be satisfied until I’ve created it. As for my influences, they pretty much encompass the whole musical spectrum. I think every genre has something to offer, and I’m just as inspired by hip-hop as I am by folk music.

And most importantly, why do you love DBH?

The artwork got me hooked and the concept reeled me in. Not only are the designs awesome, but I also love the idea of giving artists from around the globe the opportunity to showcase their work on clothing. It’s a good way to bridge connections between different cultures as well. It goes to show that like music, art is universal.

Wanna hear some of Z.A.N.E.‘s music?
Click the links for Z.A.N.E.‘s Facebook and Z.A.N.E.‘s Twitter.

Wanna send him some love?
Contact him via email at zaneswords@gmail.com

Interview by Deedee

13 Replies

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

Awesome. Zane is a great guy and not too shabby at modeling either. Congrats Z.A.N.E.

Intrepid Intrepid Artist from

Seem’s like an awesome guys and definitely one of the better models I’ve seen!

Miss_Alexander Miss_Alexander Human from United States

awesome, I loved reading the interview. congrats, Z.A.N.E.!

jublin jublin Artist from United States

the ZANE train

frogafro frogafro Artist from Philippines

i enjoyed reading the interview. wow! awesome DBH! Z.A.N.E. congrats on your album! :D

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Thinking up acronyms is so fun.
Zillions Are Not Enlightened
Zany Aliens Nearing Earth
Zap Annihilate Nuke Explode

Glad we got to hear about you Z.A.N.E., I’m really digging the tunes. If any of my shirts were in stock I’d send you one, haha.

dandingeroz dandingeroz Artist from Philippines

wow amazing! he looks like Mike Posner :P

Qcumbaman Qcumbaman Human from

Thanks for the love guys!

Z.A.N.E.

choppre choppre Artist from Maryland, United States

dandingeroz said: wow amazing! he looks like Mike Posner :P
lol I was just about to say that

rejagalu rejagalu Artist from Surabaya, Indonesia

awesome man with awesome talents..

dannydruff dannydruff Human from

Very cool interview

jun087 jun087 Artist from Ipoh, Malaysia

Z.A.N.E was right ! Art is universal ! Cheers..

sharrison586 sharrison586 Human from MA, United States

Very handsome AND talented too! I know I buy more shirts when I see him wearing them! hah!

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember