Jackalope 2.0

fishbelly
posted by fishbelly • 2 years ago

I spent the weekend playing with color and refining the design. Please, and comment or criticisms are appreciated. What do you think?

8 Replies

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

I like the earthy color palette you choose but the antlers seem to fit a bit weird on the rabbits head. I think the area where they grow from should be smaller or altered somehow so it isn’t so distracting from the overall design. Have you also considered adding background elements?

fishbelly fishbelly Artist from California, United States

Thanks so much for the feedback! I will consider your comments and spend some more time designing. BTW, checking out your site with your other designs. Amazing. Just curious, do you design with a Wacom tablet?

just for reference, here is the original oil painting I finished. Maybe add some long random grass from the background?

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

Hi,

Yes I use a Cintiq tablet that honestly was worth every penny it cost, my product rate doubled once i got that thing.

I love the original painting and unfortunately I think the cool detailing got lost in the tee design. If it were my design I would redraw it using black ink and add even more detail in. Scan the outline into photoshop and color from there. You’ll really capture the details that way.

Here is an awesome tutorial on how to do that.

Thanks Wotto! I will give it a shot. My first post is currently all vector. Painfully long to draw.

Rkdoo Rkdoo Artist from Bucharest, Romania

I will agree to wotto, the same thing gets my attention too. With the antlers being huge compared to the rabbit, their point of growth is a bit too big and focus grabbing. Try to make their starting point a bit smaller to actually create the illusion that they are growing from the rabbits head. I hope i made myself clear. But cool painting nonetheless, the tee design doesn’t do it justice. Keep it up

Thanks Rkdoo. I am currently having the painting professionally photographed and will try modifying the painting in PhotoShop for a t-shirt design instead of my first attempt in Illustrator. That way, I should not loose as much of the detaill I will work on the antler and rabbit transition as well. I will re-post as soon as I have something for you to look at. Thanks again for your’s and Wotto’s advice.

Straight from the painting and re-worked in photoshop

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission