Need some help

Nikoby
posted by Nikoby • 2 years ago

Hey guys, need some feedback. I started this vector design and I am really happy with how it is turning out. I usually do all my designs in Photoshop because I like the natural hand drawn look it gives, but I thought I would stop neglecting my vector and give it a go.

This is what I have so far:

My question is, should this have the text? I am considering putting text on the banner. And I would prefer something cooler to say than just “Pen & Ink.” I was thinking ink or die or write or die possibly in latin. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I’ve already seen shirts that say “The pen is mightier than the sword, “ so I would prefer to stay away from that.

Also, feel free to critique the design aspects as well, I wanna get this one right.

13 Replies

ronna15 ronna15 Artist from United States

I dont think you need the text in the bottom. Although, I think it would look good in the banner in Latin. Pick a nice typeface too. So far, it looks good. :)

Nikoby Nikoby Artist from FL, United States

@ronna15 Hey thanks for the comment. Yeah, I was thinking about removing the text from the bottom, it felt kind of silly. I think I may add some reflection-like detail to the ink puddle at the bottom instead. I am also thinking about adding some design to the sleeves.

Does anyone think this needs more graphical elements?

barzaly barzaly Artist from Gresik, Indonesia

awesome! maybe add some textures or grunge

Thanks Barzaly for the feedback. I was definitely planning on adding some distress to the design. I am now thinking about adding elements for the shoulders.

barzaly barzaly Artist from Gresik, Indonesia

thats good! distress also great. but also keep the grunge i guess. keep it the good work man!

quakerninja quakerninja Artist from Oregon, United States

Fill the holes with a solid that way you can use a shirt color with better contrast and help the design stand out better, and lose the gradient, it dosen’t really help the design and complicates the printing process.
I would pick a typeface that matches the design better, something like a classic tattoo font, or better yet something custom, what you have now looks like the type of thing I would see on a nickelodeon promo
You have an un used banner at the top that makes more sense for the placement of the word part then having it under, also in real life having the reading part where people can read it works better higher up then lower by the crotch area. I like the center part of the design, everything else seems like add ons to fill in space. I don’t think that’s necessary, You could probably trim it down to just the middle part and print it larger and simple and it would look fine.

@quakerninja Thanks man, really appreciate you taking the time to give me so much feedback, that helps a lot. I think I have enough inspiration now to take this further.

JulianStarks JulianStarks Artist from DMV, United States

The overall design is very clean, and i like the gradient if you can make it work with the printing process! Also, I think font in the banner would look great something a bit gothic or an old english type of font! Great work though

ORabbit ORabbit Artist from NY, United States

I do a lot of calligraphy in Illustrator. Make a wide flat calligraphic brush at maybe 30 degrees, get on your tablet, and go for it. Much better than a font for an application like this. Also, you should emphasize the ink if that’s what it’s about. More splatters. I agree with quakerninja about paring it down.

Latin for “Ink Or Die” would be “Crea An Morere”, which is actually more like create or die/wither. Atramentum is the noun for ink, but I don’t know what the verb form is.

@JulianStarks and @Orabbit thanks guys. I was thinking about doing some handwritten text for the scroll that looks “of olde.” I’ve played around a little bit in illustrator with calligraphy, but I could definitely work on polishing those skill (this design could be a good time to do that). Thanks ORabbit for knowing something about Latin, because I did not want to put anything I was unsure of

Here is an update, I have had a lot of different projects going on so I jump from place to place a lot.

Let me know what you guys think. I actually kind of like it plain black. Maybe on a gray tee. I was also thinking about adding a shine to the puddle of ink at the bottom.

Rkdoo Rkdoo Artist from Bucharest, Romania

That spilled ink on the bottom is stealing too much focus from the design without the text, maybe do something about that

Thanks Rkdoo, I agree with you. I am thinking about making it linework rather than a puddle of ink. A puddle of ink isn’t really creating anything spectacular

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission