Free Pussy Riot

zhan
posted by zhan • 2 years ago

Dear Humans,
that entire Pussy Riot Trial in Russia is really beyond my comprehension. They are giving those girls 3 years for a 1 minute performance? Some countries aren’t funny to live in, but that is just too much in 2012. My father spent 13 years in Siberia because of Mr. Stalin. It all didnt seem to have changed much. (if you are interested read more here: !http://freepussyriot.org/

So this is what I came up with as a small sign of sympathy. It is still a work in progress, and I would appreciate your opinions very much.

7 Replies

NeonTiger NeonTiger Artist from Portugal

I would remove that text.

zhan zhan Artist from United Kingdom

Because of the language, the punk writing, or the whole story behind it?

thestray thestray Artist from United States

I think the separate elements of the design don’t really come together cohesively. The style of the boombox does not match the style of the woman. The distressed treatment on the cloud and background element does not match the non-distressed look of the woman, boombox, and text. The font doesn’t seem to fit stylistically with the more ornate elements. This gives the piece of the effect of it being a bunch of dissimilar things from different sources pasted together. Granted I don’t know much about this case or this band, I don’t understand how this graphic conveys anything about them, their music or the injustice they’re experiencing.

Did you thumbnail this out before you started working on this? If not I’d recommend trying that out with future pieces, definitely helps to nail down potential problems before you actually start working. Anyway, welcome to DBH and good luck!

lunatorium lunatorium Artist from United States

I think at the very least you’ll need to remove the text because it seems a bit too profane for DBH policy.

zhan zhan Artist from United Kingdom

thanks thestray, for taking the time, —yes, this is far from ready to sub yet, and I wanted to blend it more thoroughly too, for sure its all still in a sketchy kind of state, and yes, thats right, maybe the whole pussy riot thing is another theme, — for future works, as it is part of a contemporary nightmare happening to a lot of russian and other artists.

gavind gavind Human from United States

Not very wholesome. I would think of something else cleaner though.

JulianStarks JulianStarks Artist from DMV, United States

Maybe some texture in the bg would be nice, just to make everything look like it’s not sitting soo flat. And the design looks very serious and detailed but the font comes off as a bit playful, but nice work.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission