Daily Contest: Would You Wear This?

JustPetrucci
posted by JustPetrucci • 2 years ago

Hey guys,
With TDKR contest finally winding down, I’m looking for some insight into my next Daily submission.

I probably won’t be submitting it until after TDKR is over, but I just want some input: Would you wear this? Do you think it should say something else? Or is it super awesome as is?

Let me know…
RETROmockup

10 Replies

JustPetrucci JustPetrucci Artist from Washington, United States

..so silence is golden, right? This must be PLATINUM then!! :o

Elvandare Elvandare Artist from United States

I will chime in with my 2 cents.

I think you have a cool concept, but personally I wouldn’t wear it. Doesn’t fit my style. I would also like to see a bit more blue withing the composition, it’s too left lopsided. I’m sure you could get a lot of votes if you threw some paint spatters on it though or maybe or bird or tree :p after all that seems like the majority of what people vote on here.

Also, shirts with text on them don’t usually do too well here I’ve noticed. Mostly because as the majority of people here are artists they like to see the theme represented in the artwork not through font or text (very rarely at least).

I’d personally like to see some more color. I like the box theme, but more character and perhaps the Space Invaders forming some kind of design. I don’t know, a lot of directions you can take it. Good luck though!

HMMM, more blue and the characters making something out…you could really be onto something there…

Cool! Thanks! I think you’ve really sparked an idea into me on that one…

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

I like where it’s heading but at DBH you gotta think placement. Take a look at this old design of a similar nature but look at the way they placed it to make it much more detailed.
http://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/detail/men/7159
Maybe make your invaders smaller and have lots of them make up one big one?

Yeah, I actually originally made it a much BIGGER placement, but some friends told me they liked the smaller placement! But this is DBH, so bigger is better, right? ;)

But I was thinking of doing a total overhaul on the design (it’s actually a really old design anyway), and making lots of little invaders and maybe have them spell out RETRO or something…I’ll play around with it and post up an example…

Alright, here’s the massive overhaul I did on the design:
RETROremix

Since shirts with text aren’t the real hot item on DBH, I went with a much more subtle approach to putting the words in… (They’re kind of hidden…except for “Never.” I can’t seem to find a way to sneak that one in yet.)

Elvandare Elvandare Artist from United States

I’m liking the new design a lot more! Good job, not sure if it’ll do well or what kind of alterations you’re still looking to do, but it’s greatly improved.

PS. might be a bit too over the top now, but you never know some designs that are kind of that style do good here. Good luck.

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

This is a good example of why people are open to advice really grow and learn a lot. This looks much better. I’d consider losing the text, I think the design stands on it’s own.

Thanks guys!

@ wotto: Yeah, the more I try and work in the text, the less attached I am. I’m actually thinking of losing the text and adding more old-school game references that branch onto the back. Could be neat…

@ Elvandare: This is DBH. If it’s not over the top, it’s not good enough. ;)
But really: After I knock the text out and make a few more references, it’ll probably not be so obnoxious…either that or it will look just plain crazy ridiculous….we’ll see… ;)

Question: Should I leave the word “Retro” spelled out with the aliens at the top? Or just randomize the little guys?

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission