Level Up Promotion

would this drawing be screen-printable at all?

zhan
posted by zhan • 2 years ago

http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/91788
would this oldskool pencil-drawing be translatable to screenprint technique at all? It is not vectorized, just drawn on paper, scanned hi-res + the colors shifted a bit. should I rather have it reduced to less colors? thankyou for sharing knowledge, links, and/or ideas etc.

7 Replies

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

Yes it is printable, our printers here at DBH are very skilled so they could handle this. Vectorized art is always favorable but if the artwork is 300dpi + we can handle it. It’s always good to keep colors less than more.

zhan zhan Artist from United Kingdom

Guess I will take it that step further and reduce it to the bare necessities. Thankyou Wotto for the quick answer.

thestray thestray Artist from United States

I think you should keep it as is, the texture looks great, and they can print it. Nice work, look forward to more.

Katheebah Katheebah Artist from United States

has there ever been a design like ever where you guys were like “........shit, how are we going to print this??” and if so which one? even better which design was the most difficult to print??

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

Haha Katheebah, there have been a few. None of them have been a total headache. More often there are designs that we think are amazing but they are on the verge of not being printable. Sometimes it is not worth the risk. Also some artwork just doesn’t look as good on fabric, designers should be aware of that when designing.

zhan zhan Artist from United Kingdom

@Thestray, thankyou for the roses, i will keep this one as it is and just play on with the idea some more, maybe it morphs into another form of existence.

And @ Wotto, yes, of course the transformation process towards screenprint on fabric shouldnt be totally outa sight… (I was just experimentally playing with this one to see what happens).
thestray thestray Artist from United States

@Katheebah I know my “Umibozu” design was problematic for them, because of my failings. I didn’t really understand what was and wasn’t achievable back then for an allover design, I had done a lot of rendering and used transparencies and stuff, and they had to alter it to make it printable because you can only use about 3 colors in an allover. A lot of people were bummed it didn’t look more like the mock-up, but at the end of the day it was still a good looking shirt (maybe I’m biased) and they did a good job with what I gave them.

I still like to do stuff that’s very rendered or use a lot of colors, but I’ll always look at past shirts to get a sense of “have they been able to print something like this before?” Less is definitely safer though.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember