15% OFF Sitewide. CODE: GOLDENTICKET

DBH 10K - Behind the scenes (NEVER BEFORE SEEN FOOTAGE)

yonil
posted by yonil • 3 years ago

hey :)

The 5 DBH 10K finalists will be announced on monday the 13th, and i thought that in the meantime we could share some work process ideas, methods and whatnot.
I know how I usually work on a design and it really interests me to know how others do it. So if you got any footage of your work before it was finished, or you got sketches or just wanna write it down – please share.

I’m starting off this thread with how i made “We did this to ourselves” and “Be on the safe side”:

It’s quite obvious that both came from the same initial idea of how we, as humans, treat our planet. I was toying with this idea in my sketchbook.

then i got to this:

yea, this weird-helpless-chicken-man was my first idea for what would be on the pyramid, I ended up not really liking it so i used a very old sketch by the Flemish baroque painter Peter Paul Rubens.

then i would scan everything and start setting it all up in place and print again to see the size i want the design to be on a shirt.

and add the strings between the fingers.

scan again. and paint with photoshop.
I usually digitally paint my designs using and many textures and photos i collected over time.

here are some photos for “Be on the safe side”

I almost always use transparent papers in the beginning for maximum compatibility between the elements of my design and so i can play with the elements finding the best composition. I find it easier to scan stuff seperately and then fix it the exact way you want it in photoshop.
and about the wacom – i obviously use it – but mainly for accurate coloring rather than actually drawing something.

hope you find this interesting and PLEASE share your process pics too!

16 Replies

_Mos _Mos Human from

I liked it. thanks for sharing

metalsan metalsan Artist from Venezuela

My vote was for Be on the Safe Side. Very cool (y)

pinkstorm pinkstorm Artist from Philippines

This is one of my strongest bets! Goodluck yonil! =)

CatPrime CatPrime Artist from Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, United Kingdom

Love the photos dude.

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Very interesting process.

qetza qetza Artist from

Neat process. Very cool share. All of your designs are top notch. Good luck!

Mohacsy Mohacsy Artist from Victoria, Australia

“about the wacom – i obviously use it – but mainly for accurate coloring rather than actually drawing something”

same

great post, takes me back to design school, i miss using techniques like this and i’ve only recently started again, amazingly i was to anxious to pick up a pencil and draw for like a year but work like this is the exact reason i started again.

love your stuff mate, keep up the great work

eembach eembach Human from TX, United States

Wow, I would have never guessed that process. That’s really cool.

yonil yonil Artist from Israel

thanx – glad you like it.
but seriously post some of your own and we can make it into a big process pictures thread. that would rule.

zerobriant zerobriant Artist from Cebu City, Philippines

wow!..i never thought your process is that cool :D

qetza qetza Artist from

Here’s about the only process record I have of anything recent. Unfortunately I didn’t make one of Sleepy Tipi. It’s for an illo I did right before it tho.
Here’s the finished design.

Here’s a speed draw/process vid of the beginning part of it.

Jestik Jestik Human from

seeing how this deservedly won the $10,000 contest, I think this thread needs bumped.

great job, congrats yonil !

siefer17 siefer17 Human from Canada

Worrrrrd.

This is how he executed his masta plan. =)

Pasaway Pasaway Artist from

very neat process and interesting too.

sweetP sweetP Artist from

i didnt see this thread before. that is too cool seeing how you did this. would have been interesting to see how that “chicken man” would have panned out too lol

greentaylorsimms greentaylorsimms Artist from United Kingdom

Really nice… great to see the process.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember