How to Tell an Inexperienced Designer

Tiny.Cue.Cards
posted by Tiny.Cue.Cards • 4 years ago

Someone made a comment in the forums awhile ago that I’ve been wondering about. I understand that using obvious filters in Photoshop is kinda lame, much like live trace in Illustrator . . . etc. Feel free to expand on this if you like, but I get that.

I’m REALLY wondering what else is looked down upon, specifically is it bad to make designs (or parts of designs) by painting OVER a photo in Photoshop/Illustrator? Is that considered naive, or a sign of an inexperienced designer?

And what else?

36 Replies

asher2789 asher2789 Artist from United States
againstbound said: I have been using livetrace in pretty much every design(I think) I’ve done in the past year and a half or so.

no way! on original drawings?

againstbound againstbound Artist from Mexico
asher2789 said:
againstbound said: I have been using livetrace in pretty much every design(I think) I’ve done in the past year and a half or so.

Yep, pretty much every outline in every design of mine is livetraced (from my pen and paper drawings); I work with settings that I think work for me (never had any complaints) and of course I do a bit of cleaning up whenever it’s needed.

againstbound said:
asher2789 said:

Yep, pretty much every outline in every design of mine is livetraced (from my pen and paper drawings); I work with settings that I think work for me (never had any complaints) and of course I do a bit of cleaning up whenever it’s needed.

well you have just proved the large variety of results that can be achieved with livetrace depending on the effort put in and the skill of the artist:

^my lazy piece of shit done in about 20-30 minutes… including the mocking it up and submitting!

^your dbh 10k top 20 masterpiece.

starry_eyez starry_eyez Artist from Sri Lanka

amazing!

thestray thestray Artist from United States
Oddeti said:
Tiny.Cue.Cards said: Do any of you make your own fonts? How often? If not, do you use the ones that come with the program or do you prefer to download/buy them?
Depends on the project. If I have the time I’ll try to draw my own text, but sometimes I’ll find a suitable pre-made font that fits well with the illustration. But there are definitely some “red flag” fonts that a designer should never ever use.

Ditto. Depends on what the piece calls for. I’ll rarely just use a font as is though (unless it’s just for presentation purposes and not part of the art). The last time I made a whole entire font was in typography class years and years ago.

starry_eyez starry_eyez Artist from Sri Lanka

zerobriant said: avoid this heroes i guess:)
lol

No design project is too high brow to resist the powers of Lens Flare. What client could challenge the combined effects of Crystallize and Emboss!? Their only known weaknesses are large file sizes and molecular solvents.

Concept by Chop Shop and illustration and interpretation finely executed by Joshua Kemble.

lol,

joopit said:
Tiny.Cue.Cards said: I’m REALLY wondering what else is looked down upon, ...
if I might ask the question: why?

...so he knows what not to do? seems to be an obvious reason.

Tiny.Cue.Cards Tiny.Cue.Cards Artist from

Actually, it’s so I can alert the FBI to your inner workings . . . dun dun dun . . .

I have been known to ghast a few flabbers in my day

Bohemiantoe Bohemiantoe Artist from

Tiny.Cue.Cards said: I have been known to ghast a few flabbers in my day

LOL! I might steal that line someday.

kristenhoward kristenhoward Artist from

You can easily apply multiple features for effects, overall images with blatant filters look unworked… like using Arial or Times New Roman as typefaces, everyone knows how they look… so it looks half-assed. The trick is to take it that step further.

kristenhoward said: You can easily apply multiple features for effects, overall images with blatant filters look unworked… like using Arial or Times New Roman as typefaces, everyone knows how they look… so it looks half-assed. The trick is to take it that step further.

times new roman is not a bad typeface. just saying. overused, maybe, but so is helvetica. typefaces generally get overused because they are good.. although people who use arial are fucking idiots. no offense to arial lovers, but its just helvetica butchered.

this reminds me of the piece i did about times new roman, i guess ill have to upload it to dA now…

edit – just uploaded my design at dA.

COQUI COQUI Artist from Florida, United States

My opinion… filters, effects etc… if you know how to use them properly you can tweak them and get amazing results, same with fonts… you can use them as basis and then adjust them to your style or needs… when people limited themselves to the basic use of the tools is when it looks tacky…

I personally try to do everything by myself from scratch because that way I learn more, but sometimes it saves time and helps to use other stuff but as KristenHoward said “The trick is to take it that step further.”... You will learn a lot and become more efficient without being lazy or cheesy… :)

COQUI said: My opinion… filters, effects etc… if you know how to use them properly you can tweak them and get amazing results, same with fonts… you can use them as basis and then adjust them to your style or needs… when people limited themselves to the basic use of the tools is when it looks tacky…

I personally try to do everything by myself from scratch because that way I learn more, but sometimes it saves time and helps to use other stuff but as KristenHoward said “The trick is to take it that step further.”... You will learn a lot and become more efficient without being lazy or cheesy… :)

i disagree with the fonts. if you can get amazing results using ONLY comic sans, more power to you. but i doubt it.

20 Flirt Lines to Use on a Graphic Designer
I found this today, thought it should be added to this thread (since I began it with the 25 Signs you may be a Hardcore Graphic Designer). You can find it here on dA http://news.deviantart.com/article/112969/

If you’re looking to romance a graphic designer, we can help. Here are some ice-breakers cheesier than Cheez Whiz guaranteed to help you find someone to love, to hold and to go halfers on a new copy of Photoshop CS4 with you.

1. I wish I had an Eyedropper to capture the color of your eyes.

2. Has anybody ever told you that your teeth have perfect kerning?

3. If you were a logo, it would be for a really premium brand.

4. I’m just like a global nav; I love to be on top.

5. Come back to my place and I’ll show you a really naughty way to fill up some negative space.

6. Would you like to lorem ipsum dolor sit on my lap?

7. If I went to a stock photography site and typed in the keyword: “sexy”, I bet there’d be a picture of you.

8. I couldn’t help but notice your eye path went right to my smudge stick.

9. If I hit Shift + [ will it increase the hardness of your brush?

10. Just looking at you from across the bar, I could tell you display high Brightness and Vibrance, and have multiple Layers.

11. You look perfectly put together. Do you display this well in IE?

12. I like my fonts sans-serif, and you sans-pants.

13. If you bring the tool, I’ll bring the color palette.

14. I dig your look and feel.

15. If you like what you see now, wait’ll you look below the fold.

16. Let’s “Skip Intro” and just go find a hotel room right now.

17. When I serve you breakfast in bed tomorrow, would you like your coffee with cream and sugar, or do you prefer it #000?

18. Do you want to touch my Bézier curves?

19. What if I told you the fly on my legs opens quicker than a 500kb JPEG file?

20. Mind if I take you for a usability test?

Buzatron Buzatron Artist from United States

thanks the spam gods for digging this thread up….pretty nifty reading ;)

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember