Designer signatures

BlackFiberGraphics
posted by BlackFiberGraphics • 3 months ago

I was just wondering everyones thoughts on designer signatures. I usually put my designer mark at the bottom right hand corner of my prints as a symbol to my art.

How do designers/customers feel about buying prints that contain marks or signatures?

16 Replies

Inked Inked Staff: Community Manager from California, United States

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. Most customers honestly don’t want t-shirts that have signatures on them unless that’s either:

a) a well known thing with that artist or
b) it just fits well into the design or is hidden in the design.

Most signatures detract from the art, especially on clothing. We have a few artists who cleverly hide their “mark” in their artwork sometimes so you don’t even notice it unless you go looking for it. Very “Neal Caffrey” and it can be fun to go looking for it.

BlackFiberGraphics BlackFiberGraphics Human from Illinois, United States

Yeah, I wasn’t speaking about shirt designs- mostly about Prints sold on the site. I mean, eventually I’d like to have my own tattoo-related clothing line which I will include my mark on the shirt somewhere for branding purposes, but I wouldn’t put my logo WITHIN the design itself.

Art prints are a different thing entirely. I think customers would be more attuned to seeing signatures in prints, assuming the signature isn’t terrible or overly large.

Agreed. I’ve been experimenting with sizing and placement. I just uploaded my first print-only artwork to DBH yesterday, so that’s why I asked.

biotwist biotwist Artist from new jersey, United States

this isn’t a painting. no one wants your name on their shirt. I want art on mine. signing digital art is arrogant

@biotwist I understand that, hence why I was speaking about prints and not shirts.

Snazzygaz Snazzygaz Human from Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Perhaps a pictogram signature that can easily slotted in anywhere that wont break the design, korean stamp style, or signature by negative omission that subtly deletes from a heavily filled area so the natural colour of the shirt becomes the signature in that spot

Snazzygaz Snazzygaz Human from Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Like this, but obvs more thought put in on design and placement:

Yep that’s exactly what I was referencing above. We have a few artists who do that and it’s virtually not noticeable unless you go looking for it which is cool.

biotwist biotwist Artist from new jersey, United States

@BlackFiberGraphics I gotcha. I still think it’s stilly. let the art speak for its self

And I agree. If some artists can include it within their art, all power to them. I was referring to a digital mark I use on my prints. This is an example. I’m trying to establish a brand for myself, so getting people familiar with my designer mark and tying it to my style of art is the longterm goal.

I wish you had a shirt version of that art. It’s pretty epic as a huge Mass Effect fan myself. If you do it, don’t make it a box on a shirt. distress the edges or something so it’s not a hard border. Something.

But shirt. Please. Now. Want. Kkkthnxbai.

This print is my #1 selling print on my Etsy shop. As a huge Mass Effect fan myself, I think I’ll have to make this a shirt. Just to appease Lord Inked. I don’t think it would be the same format though. I’ll try distressing it a bit, but I might just use the main shape of the reaper and silhouette of the little girl.

Gah… such an epic teaser trailer they made. Nerdgasm.

Lighthouse Lighthouse Artist from United States

I totally agree with you Inked. This design would make a great shirt with a little disruption around the border.

Hmmmmm, What color shirts do you think? Now that I look at it, a black or Navy would look good I think.

Lighthouse Lighthouse Artist from United States

I think black and navy would look great. Might want to try putting it on charcoal and silver to see how that looks too.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission