a sublimation print t shirt...

hectoralamone
posted by hectoralamone • 6 months ago

Hi,

I’ve recently paid around £60 to have this t shirt printed (see pictures) with a pattern sublimated all over it. I got it printed through this company.

http://www.3rdrailclothing.co.uk/

They sent me the finished article today which has patches of white where the pattern has not been able to reach the cloth through folds and seams. I understand the under arm area must be a hard place to do – although for £60 am I unreasonable to think they’d find a way to perfectly cover it? Having no experience of t shirt production I wouldn’t know. What do you think?

As you can also see from the photos the shoulder on one side has patches from being folded – the other shoulder is patch free, which suggests its more incompetence than anything – do you agree?

The company are suggesting its within their usual remit of tolerances/discrepancies for sublimation and aren’t willing to do anything about it to help me be happy with the resultant t shirt.

Additionally, does anyone know if I could dye/colour the patches somehow and match the base purple/blue colour of the t shirt to cover the patched areas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated-

Thanks
Ant

5 Replies

Sushilove Sushilove Artist from Spain

Sublimated tees usually have this kind of printing mistakes… Nothing that you could really do, unless you print directly on the fabric and then cut and sew the tee which will be even more expensive.
I personally think those imperfections are quite cool.

hectoralamone hectoralamone Human from United Kingdom

Is there anything I can do now, do you think?

The white bits completely ruin it for me! Maybe it looks worse in person.

Think I could fabric paint the white to match the base colour?

slamgirl65 slamgirl65 Artist from Michigan, United States

I have some experience with fiber reactive dyes. I can’t say for sure without knowing precisely what kind of ink they used, but if you choose a light color, like yellow or turquoise, you should be able to color the white patches without effecting the screen print. I do know that the inked areas made nice resists whenever I chose to color screen printed fabrics. Of course you might consider choosing a color you really like in case it does alter the color of the print. Keep us updated if you find a way to fix it.
Check out procion dyes on dharmatrading.com

slamgirl65 slamgirl65 Artist from Michigan, United States

Oh, just remembered, you could also try a whole foods store for some guar gum to thicken dye for painting or screen printing with.

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

The downside of Sublimation printing. You are sandwiching a movable piece of material between to two flat surfaces to print it. This is the result, some companies do it better than others but all experience this in some way.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission