How do you make these kinds of shading?

kaizen
posted by kaizen • 1 year ago

MADE BY: THEBLKAXE

You see those pencil like strokes? How can you do that in photoshop? Is there a custom brush that can make that? I’ve tried the brush available in photoshop, but it is only low resolution making it blurry when im doing it in a high res document.

11 Replies

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

Hi,

This looks like one of two things, either the hand drawn art was stippled and then added to photoshop or they had a custom brush to make the shading.

kaizen kaizen Artist from Philippines

It’s cool as hell.. and it’s crispy too.. what do you mean by hand drawn and then stippled?

Inked Inked Staff: Community Manager from California, United States

Hi kalzen,

Stippled or Stippling is the process of using small dots to create a shading effect. Below is a piece of artwork that was created using the stippling method.

So it’s like halftoning?

No, halftones are a digital shading process. Stippling is a brush in photoshop or the long hard technique of hand “dotting” small dots close and far apart to create shade. Examples:

These are digital stippled pieces:

From here

Wow.. now I know. thank you for all your help! :) never heard of this stippling stuff before.. I’ll sure have to experiment on it. THANKSS!

Which brush is it in photoshop btw?

It is a custom brush, you can probably pick one up by searching and purchasing but they are never as good at the original dot by dot process.

Alright thanks wotto.. you are always awesome!!!

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember