Completely new to Shirt Printing and DBH

jtricomi
posted by jtricomi • 1 year ago

Hello everyone,

After looking at this site for quite some time, I’ve decided to finally give it a shot at designing a shirt. My name is Joe, and I’m an Illustrator and Graphic Designer from Dallas, Texas. I’ve worked in the print industry for 2.5 years now, and I’ve been drawing my entire life. I work at a print shop during the day designing business cards and other various paper-printed media using Photoshop and Illustrator, and at night I apprentice at a tattoo shop close by. I’ve always been fascinated with apparel design, especially shirts, and it seems like the community of artists here share the same taste in aesthetics as I do.

I have a few questions if anyone could answer them for me. I do a lot of tightly crosshatched pen and ink stuff, in the styles of Bernie Wrightson and Aaron Horkey. Since I’ve only really experienced digital printing using toner-based presses and some offset/thermography/Pantone printing, my question is if tightly crosshatched artwork can translate to shirt or apparel printing. Do I need to simplify it? Do I need to vector the artwork if I don’t have to simplify it? I understand that some shirts are printed DTG here and some are screenprinted, so which format should I push to design more towards?

Sorry for the flood of questions and the barrage of information; apparel design is just something I’ve wanted to do for a while now but never really knew much about it. Thanks in advance for your help. And if you’d like to see some work, let me know and I’ll post some up!

3 Replies

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

Hi Jtricomi,

First of all welcome to Design By Humans. I would say draw and design how you always do. If your art is amazing and we select it we will pick a printing method that suits your art. We can handle highly detailed work like this:

Samurai Tiger by ObrunoMato

Our DTG is unique in that it prints at a much larger size with some customization that was a year in the making. This means we can print amazing work like this without losing any detail:

No King by Kdeuce

I hope this helps answer your questions and be sure to post any more questions you have.

Look forward to seeing your submissions.

jtricomi jtricomi Human from Texas, United States

Right on! Thanks for the information, and you guys will see stuff from me pretty soon!

robo3687 robo3687 Artist from Australia

oh good that makes me feel better about the stuff I’m doing too, since its in the detailed/realistic range, i was worried about having to work out halftones and the vectoring of said halftones…

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission