Printability VS Execution

CharcoalGreyArt
posted by CharcoalGreyArt • 1 year ago

Hello DBH!

I was hoping someone could shed some light regarding a couple of my queries about printability and execution, here they are:

1. Does DTG printing have a limitation when it comes to size? can it print overall/belt prints? I wanted to ask this since DTG does what the traditional silkscreen printing cannot, for example painterly shadings, difficult gradients etc.

2. How does DBH go about when deciding whether the artwork be printed using traditional silkscreen or DTG? is it based on the degree of difficulty or law of supply/demand?

3. Does the level of print difficulty greatly affect the artwork’s chance of getting printed? lets say, someone submits an intricate and heavilly gradiated tones but offer a stunning concept, would the printability issues lower its chance of getting printed?

with the printing technology nowadays, I just want to be guided as to how far can we take our artworks away from the traditional solid lines / halftones method.

Thanks in advance for someone who can offer an insight! good day to y’all!

13 Replies

graphicollapse graphicollapse Artist from garut, Indonesia

DBH using DTG just for DBH collective t shirt.. T shirt of the day is using silkscreen method… so DBH can print it one by one due to the costumer’s order… DTG only have a maximum printing size A3
DBH is very expert in printing artwork by silkscreen… their method makes so much gradient and watercolor design printed clear…for silkscreen method… there is no limit of size on tee :D
i think DBH will print the printable artwork.. but it’s not only the reason… i think marketable artwork is better for choosen by DBH :D

video 1
video 2

A3 Dimensions are 16.5 × 11.7 inches but our DTG technology prints 18.7” x 14.8” inches

ADAMLAWLESS ADAMLAWLESS Artist from Johor Bahru, Malaysia

GREAT THREAD!

XDot XDot Human from Greece

@graphicollapse
awesome posts

CharcoalGreyArt CharcoalGreyArt Artist from Land of the Forgotten, Philippines

Wow thanks graphicollapse!! I appreciate the effort! basically your posts pretty much answered my queries! thanks a bunch!!

Inked Inked Staff: Community Manager from California, United States

I’m going to chime in here a sec. The DBH Collective is completely DTG, however, Shirt of the Day is not only screen-printed. We’ve been DTGing a fair number of SOTD’s recently as indicated on any non-collective product page by the three ink droplet icon next to the sizes.

I’ll leave the how and why to Wotto concerning what we choose to DTG and what we print using print-screen, but DTG is not exclusive to the Collective. Also, A3 print size is 16.5 × 11.7 inches, however, with some clever tinkering and a lot of man hours our DTG machines can print up to 18.7 × 14.8 inches. A significantly larger DTG print than any other comparable company.

dibuholabs dibuholabs Artist from Philippines

Nice thread! Thanks for shedding light on this matter

Thanks Inked! the reason why I made this post is i have been noticing a couple of SOTD artworks done using DTG and I wondered if it is because of printability issues since most of the winning artworks now offer more of a painterly approach rather than solid silkscreen-friendly designs. And since DTG is here, i begin to wonder if printing issues would still be a criteria when choosing a winner.

Thanks for the posts guys keep them coming! Its always good to delve into the technical side of our craft!

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

Hello,

Execution and art standard will always rule at Design By Humans because we have 2 printing techniques at our disposal. Having DTG has opened doors for us in terms of making tees using new techniques. For instance yesterdays tee wouldn’t have been able to be chosen due to the ten color rule if we still operated a screen printing only production style.
So If the art is amazing and intriguing and fits with our community you stand a great chance of getting selected. We pick the best art and work out how to make that into a very top quality product. If DTG fits we use that, if screen printing works better we use that and vise versa.
Side note: Screen printing can achieve the painterly effect just as well (and in some cases better) than DTG.

priyanshu priyanshu Artist from MUMBAI, India

great post!!!!!!!

clear explanation from Wotto, thanks! I was intrigued by DTG and the possibilities that it can offer :) I just wish that in the future, we can harness the ability to digitally print larger scale designs; that would be cool! thanks guys! if someone has a technical printing query maybe you can also share it in this post :) thanks again guys!

cosmicsecret cosmicsecret Human from Germany

very informative thread! Thanks

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission