Limited Edition Tank Tops

Too many skulls...anyone agree?

7sixes
posted by 7sixes • 1 year ago

Been seeing wayyyy too many skull designs…is this fad still in or do people not realize its over done?

16 Replies

7sixes 7sixes Artist from Minnesota, United States

Not printed…but mostly submitted I meant

Inked Inked Staff: Community Manager from California, United States

In fairness, we’ve printed quite a few as well so it’s easy to understand the quantity of submissions when so many have previously won. If it’s any consolation, I’m a huge fan of your abstract art.

miahsix miahsix Human from CO, United States

I was thinking the same thing as well. It’s been the same way with all the lion stuff too

biotwist biotwist Artist from new jersey, United States

there is never enough bad ass skulls but too bad there are alot of shitty skulls

thestray thestray Artist from United States

I think it’s mainly because it’s an easy go-to thing, coming up with original concepts can be challenging, and skulls are kinda always in style. I don’t think skulls are a fad. They’ve been used as a design element for decades, and will probably continue to because it’s a visual shorthand to evoke some kind of counter-culture aesthetic. In any sort of rebellious subculture you’ll find skull imagery; bikers, goths, punks, metal, etc. It’s an easy way to project to the world that you’re at least a little bit left of center.

So, I have no problem with skulls myself. I just want to see people push what they can do with them and make interesting art. I love seeing a skull shirt that doesn’t look like any skull shirt I’ve ever seen.

^^ True.

And thanks inked :)

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

Skulls are always on trend. Always have been and I guess always will be. I personally love them and I have quite a few. Design By Humans has extended it’s catalog in terms of style a lot since I have been around. We like to try new trends and styles of art. Darker art has definitely crept in this past year and I guess with that comes some skulls. Popular theme and like The Stray said the perfect go to when you want to make a tee design.

JustPetrucci JustPetrucci Artist from Washington, United States

So this is may sound ridiculous, BUT:

In an article I read a few weeks ago, they were talking about why zombies have become so popular lately. (My reasoning is because Twilight took away vampires and werewolves and zombies are all we have left…) The article went on to explain that people tend to lean towards depressing, deathly things when the country is in a recession. It’s rather subconscious, but we like what we see when it relates to how we feel. Maybe skulls have the same effect? Or is that theory full of horse pucky? YOU be the judge…I still blame Twilight.

Zombies are a result of the hugely popular The Walking Dead TV show. Yeah I also blame Twilight for the recession and most things. ;)

It IS Twilight’s fault!

What became one of the most popular and biggest franchises? Twilight.

What became even more popular right after Twilight? Zombies and skulls.

Who was in Twilight? Kirsten Stewart.

Kirsten Stewart = Emotionless, expressionless

What’s emotionless and expressionless? Skulls and zombies.

Boom. Mind = Blown.

Hahahahaa…omg awesome… :)

I think zombies have also become popular with the rise of zombie mode in call of duty games…thats pretty huge

True, true. That’s actually probably a very large contributor. It’s interesting to look back and see the start of the zombie trend as we know it today. First there was the 28 Days Later back in 2002 with “rage” type zombies. Then you had Shaun of the Dead bring in the Zombedy movie genre in 2004. But once you hit 2008, it just explodes:

28 Weeks Later, 2007
CoD Nazi Zombies, 2008
Left 4 Dead, 2008
Zombieland, 2009
Left 4 Dead 2, 2009
The Walking Dead, 2010
Black Ops Zombies, 2010
Black Ops 2 Zombies, 2012
Warm Bodies, 2013

CRAZY!
(I guess Black Ops zombies tithed everyone over for 2011…)
Did I just look up all those dates? Yes.
Am I bored on a Saturday? ...maybe.

not to forget the remake of Dawn of the Dead (2004) too ;)

I still maintain that 28 Days Later is the best zombie movie to date. The ‘Rage’ just takes those walkers to a whole new level. Great art was also created to go with that movie, some comic art that was very cool.

Ah, of course.

I would agree, the rage zombies bring a new terror in the fact that they’ll sprint at you. But we’ll have to see if the 28 Days zombies can still hold up against these upcoming World War Z zombies, which look like some kind of new hybrid. They appear to be undead, but fast, and don’t give a crap as long as they can get to you.

Inked Inked Staff: Community Manager from California, United States

Zombies just need a little love. Haven’t you seen Warm Bodies?

I have not yet. Is it good?
I was worried they were going to take zombies into some Twilight-esque direction, so I decided to wait on seeing that one until I knew what was really going on there…

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember