Warning about this website called 9fountains

radiomode
posted by radiomode • 1 year ago

I am sharing this because the 9fountains.com is currently out to seek more designers and I think all the designers need to know the story beforehand.

9fountains is Singapore based t-shirt company. The company started as competition based website, where you submitted your designs and they print the ones they like and paying a lump sum as the compensation.

Last year the company changed direction. Now they are paying based on royalty, 10%. This program is called 9fountains collective. No more competition. The collective is exclusive to 9 invited designers and the company will extensively marketed the t-shirt designs of these 9 artists (as said in very persuasive email).

So the company founder Andrew Wolf contacted me August 2012 for this so called exclusive deal. I was eventually sold to the idea and include my designs.

Well, you probably able to guess what happened next. The guy went on vacation, no email response… Email responded, told me to wait… Monthly royalty report did not happen…. Emailed the founder, emailed the customer service…. Royalty report happened but no payment….. Again my email was not replied…. I posted on their facebook page… told the company is in transition, etc, etc…. The point is no update or royalty payment made to this day.

After digging the whole story, I found that this happened not only to me, but to other artist in the collective too. No one has received anything so far. Someone told me back when 9fountains was in the competition mode, the payment was also slacking. The information was you need to chase them again and again before getting paid (eventually the artist get paid though). My conclusion: this slacking is not a one off case, but part of 9fountains history.

Now they are looking for more artist to go into the same path by submitting designs to them:
http://www.facebook.com/9fountains

Please consider my experience before you send anything or thinking of joining 9fountains.

If you are looking for company with royalty payment, DBH collective is a good start.

10 Replies

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll definitely pass this up.

pinkstorm pinkstorm Artist from Philippines

I actually experienced the same thing when I won as a finalist in their competition. After a lot of follow-ups, they finally gave the payment. But it took more than a month or so before I got it. :/

daleconcepts daleconcepts Artist from Philippines

I have the same experienced, I won 1st place in their contest just last year I think, and after waiting for printing for months, they started to sell my tee and after that like I’ve waited for 4months within , they just got me paid after I became rage on them on email because my shirt was on the store already and I still haven’t get paid, and that’s the time they started to resolve my issues.

jun087 jun087 Artist from Ipoh, Malaysia

Thanks for sharing..

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

I think I was one of their first winners way back when they launched and they paid up day of release. It’s sad to see this kind of thing and thanks Mr Radiomode for sharing. Now quit this jibber jabber and submit more designs ;)

iamrobman iamrobman Artist from Batangas CIty, Philippines

I think I’m the last grand winner before it was so called 9fountains last year. They almost forgot to pay me the cash prize and Mr.Wolf is on a vacation,they say….Luckily after tons of emails I did asking for the payment,they finally gave my winnings.Shirt quality on 9fountains?
Very poor DTG print but awesome tee fit.I disposed the shirt after wearing it twice.

Inked Inked Staff: Community Manager from California, United States

As a non-artist type (My best work might be on par with a chimp on a good day) it’s disappointing to see companies treat you guys like that. Companies like DesignByHumans, regardless of the specific differences are what we are because of our relationship with you guys and girls. Treating you poorly says a lot about the companies values at its core.

ADAMLAWLESS ADAMLAWLESS Artist from Johor Bahru, Marshall Islands

thanx for sharing, dats was why I left Singapore 9 yrs ago :-)

Ingkong Ingkong Artist from Philippines

Thanks for the Info.

TenTimesKarma TenTimesKarma Artist from Philippines

I won there when they we’re still in contest format and got my prize money pretty quick. No problems whatsoever. Since they turned into this royalty basis system, they have gone down the hill. I am part of their “9Fountains collective” along with Radiomode and Kharmazero and have had a pretty bad experience so far.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember