How to create the proper art template?

SamElias
posted by SamElias • 1 year ago

Okay, so I’m getting a little bit confused about what size my canvas should be when designing a t-shirt. The dimensions for each t-shirt are as follows:
Standard 17.5” x 19”
Oversized 19” x 25”
All-over 40” x 35”

Does this mean my canvas in photoshop should be 17.5’‘ x 19’‘ if I want to make a standard shirt design?
Also, when I you submit you need:
Thumbnail: 320×240
Artwork 640×480
Placement 640×480

Should my canvas in photoshop be 640×480 or 17.5’‘ x 19’‘? As you can tell I am very confused, please help!

6 Replies

HardCandyGFX HardCandyGFX Artist from Czech Republic

Create your artwork as big as you can for qulaity’s sake, then reduce size for submission. If your design is selected for print, you will be asked to provide the high resolution file.

HardCandyGFX HardCandyGFX Artist from Czech Republic

(I hate that can’t edit my posts for spelling mistakes!)

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

HardCandy is correct. Design your art as big as possible and at 300dpi as a minimum. We only want jpegs for submissions but if we selected your design it would need to be at least the size it was going to print on a tee, those are the inch sizes you have listed above.

SamElias SamElias Human from United States

oh okay, so…
1) I just should create my design on a canvas the same size it would be printed (depending if its standard, oversized or all-over), and this original huge canvas will be the high-resolution image that DBH will ask for if I win.
2) After I create the image on the huge canvas, I scale it down to the size of the thumbnail, artwork, and placement for my submission

and…
3) is 300ppi the same as 300dpi?

Thank you very much for your help!!

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. 300dpi is standard in photoshop. When you open a new file you will see it in the same pop up as the sizing fields.

SamElias SamElias Human from United States

thank you very much!

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember