USPS International Shipping Rates

RoyA
posted by RoyA • 1 year ago

I’m really sorry if this isn’t the place for it, please correct me if it is…
Well the thing is, i’ve just noticed the shipping cost of 1 T-shirt to my location has jumped from something around $7.90/8 to $10.45 .
I hate to rant cause it might look like a small amount for some (the shipping cost is almost half the price of the shirt itself now), but it definitely makes me think twice before i’ll grab a random single shirt in that way. i guess i’ll have to rely more on special occasions like holidays etc. to buy a couple of shirts in a better price; the thing is.. until an event like this comes, a lot of shirts could sell out entirely. even the Discount Codes can’t help so much when the shipping rate keeps getting higher.
To sum it up, i just want to know who determines the shipping rate, and if there’s something you could do about it.
i really love DBH, and staying updated with your latest art.. but it’s kind of getting harder in that state :(
Thank you for your understanding, and any information / help regarding this issue.

17 Replies

Inked Inked Staff: Community Manager from California, United States

Hey RoyA,

The shipping rates you see in both the shopping cart’s “Shipping Estimator” tool and during Checkout are determined by a variety of things. Both of those are generated via an API that takes the information you’ve provided us such as your address, postal code and country as well as the weight of your carts contents, sends it to the courier services and then bounces back that companies quoted rate for each service if meets the weight requirements for the service and if it is available to your postal code.

You are correct there was a rate increase on January 27th, 2013 for international customers for the USPS First Class International as well as the USPS International Priority rates. Unfortunately, due to how the USPS operates with most businesses, this rate isn’t anything we can lower and as you also noticed, the rate increase was quite significant for some of our customers. Some of our customers in Europe went from $7-8 to nearly $13 for the first pound and it climbs as normal for each pound after the first based on the delivery location.

Don’t despair though! We saw this coming and began working with FedEx ahead of the rate increase on an alternate service that will provide a flat rate (by pound) charge to any country we’re capable and willing to ship to. The service isn’t live yet and we have some additional details to work out before we can make the service available to you, but you should see prices more in line with the previous USPS First Class International rates you were seeing before. I’m not 100% sure what the final per pound charge will be just yet, but it will definitely be highly competitive with those previous USPS rates and location won’t be a factor.

We understand shipping is a significant factor to our customers outside the USA and we’re always watching the prices and meeting with our service representatives to negotiate better prices. Once of my focuses has been ensuring DBH has the best shipping rates in the industry and if you compare us to similar companies you’ll find we’ve kept our prices lower across the board in nearly every service category. Rest assured we’re continually fighting for you to give you the best rates possible.

RoyA RoyA Human from Israel

I’m so happy to hear that… you guys are just amazing and i genuinely believe you are the best there is.
I’ll keep an eye for this new FedEx service !
Thank you for the detailed answer, Inked ~

wotto wotto Artist from CA, United States

Inked brings all the customer service happiness to the yard!

My milkshake … nevermind.

slamgirl65 slamgirl65 Artist from Michigan, United States

This actually makes me a little sad. I work for FedEx and my aunt just retired from the postal service… But then again, I get to pick my tees up at work :/

Ghettonerd Ghettonerd Human from South Africa

Good day. Not to redirect this thread but I have a question related to USPS shipping. I bought one tee just as a litmus test to see the delivery process in action. Wanted to buy a couple of Tees at once but didn’t wanna lose a whole lot of money if there was some issue etc encountered. Does USPS normally take forever with international shipping. Using my tracking number I tried to locate my package but the last update states “ Your Item Status:Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES, CA 90009 facility on February 10, 2013 at 7:14 pm”
There’s been no movement since the 10th…. is this the norm on international packages?

KennethP91 KennethP91 Human from New Zealand

Ghettonerd, your item has most likely been shipped and is out of US, unfortunately once it is outside of US there will be no tracking or movement at all, I know this because I am in the same situation as you are, shouldn’t be long till you get your item.

@Ghettonerd dietjuice is correct regarding your package. USPS First Class International does not offer tracking outside of the USA. Because of this, the last scan on the package will always be within the US where the package was sorted for export. The two most common facilities for international export for USPS is in Los Angeles, CA and Jamaica, NY. USPS First Class is dependent on a few variables to achieve successful delivery.

First and foremost, the address provided to us. Double and triple check your address. Once the package enters transit, it cannot, for any reason, be changed. This service is delivered by your local postal system, so I’d advise knowing how your local postal system addresses your residence.

Second, all international shipments that don’t provide a day definite (Estimated Delivery Date) quote are slow. Sometimes painfully slow. This is often due to international customs both during export and during import and the speed at which they are processed. Your country may choose to inspect your package, which means opening it and then resealing it. I’ve seen packages returned to us because the recipient address portion of the label was damaged so badly when it was opened it couldn’t be read by the local post office. USPS First Class International “averages” 3-5 weeks for delivery. This is a global average, so naturally some countries will always receive packages quicker than others based purely on distance from us.

Rest assured if your address was clear, concise, and you don’t live in the middle of nowhere you’re package is well on its way to you.

Keep me posted and remember you can always email us at service@designbyhumans.com if you have any issues you need our assistance with.

Ghettonerd Ghettonerd Human from South Africa

Thanks dietjuice, guess time will tell. Trust it’ll work out for both of us. @inked I will definitely keep you informed, I think I’ll get it in a week or two though.

RoyA RoyA Human from Israel

Wow… i haven’t visited DBH for a month; just checked in to see some new T’s and found out that the rate per 1 T got even higher (from $10.45 to $13.75). bummer, i really hope that FedEx partnership will come along :’(

Phil30 Phil30 Artist from Philippines

any updates on the new shipping rates?

bgre bgre Human from Germany

Will there be a notification when the new international shipping rates are “live”?
I must admit that since USPS raised their rates, I visit the DBH site less and less frequently. Dut there are definitively some shirts I’d like to order if there was cheaper shipping.

As soon as we have the new shipping services setup and live we’ll definitely post it here and likely shoot out an email announcing the new services and what they can do for you.

@Inked Is there already a schedule?

A schedule for the services release?

Yes, exactly

The only answer I can give would be “as soon as possible” unfortunately. The service can’t go live until it’s been thoroughly tested and deemed ready as any issue with labeling and tracking would create problems neither you or we want to encounter and have to deal with after your order is out in the wild and out of our control direct control.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission