What would you do?

Nikoby
posted by Nikoby • 2 years ago

The past couple of weeks I haven’t been able to create t-shirt designs let alone anything else. I accidentally poured boiling hot water all over my hand from an electric tea-kettle (I filled the kettle with too much water and totally over-shot the cup I was holding). It gave me a huge 2nd-degree burn all over the back of my hand and caused swelling and numbness. Haha, it felt like I stuck my hand into the pits of hell or something like it.

Anyways, it was my right hand (dominant) which I use for everything, especially my art. It is doing a lot better now, but it made me ponder a lot about what I would do if I ever lost my hand. Talk about an artists worst nightmare, am I right? I have a lot of things depending on it.

What would you guys do?

I would probably end up going to seminary, no joke.

11 Replies

ivanrodero ivanrodero Artist from Australia

I would probably just learn how to use my other hand…

pinkstorm pinkstorm Artist from Philippines

Yes, i’d make use of my left hand. I remember a classmate during college days was able to make it through the finals using his left hands to draw because his right hands were injured for a month or so, though it did made an impact in terms of the quality of his work, it impressed me a lot that he managed to pull it through. :)

Nikoby Nikoby Artist from FL, United States

yeah, that is true. When I was in college, they had us use our opposite hand a couple of times to get us comfortable with making marks in different ways. It would probably take a while to get my opposite hand to do what my dominant hand can do though. But I am sure with a lot of practice it is doable.

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Cyborg hand.

vinh291 vinh291 Human from United States

Hey man, maybe God’s calling you for a different purpose. See where he want to take you with this new situation.

Nikoby Nikoby Artist from FL, United States

True vinh291, however, my hand is doing a lot better. But it has never been something I am opposed to.

RivalArt RivalArt Human from Missouri, United States

Well I hope your hand gets better – I would do the same and try to use the other hand. Or maybe your feet – people do that often :) Cassi @ www.rivalart.com

Inked Inked Staff: Community Manager from California, United States

I’m with thestray, cyborg hand. Though seminary + art could be an interesting combination. I’d be genuinely curious what you could do actively combining the two.

slamgirl65 slamgirl65 Artist from Michigan, United States

I use my whole arm to draw, so I’d probably be able to get by with prosthetic, which I hear have gotten to be quite good. I’m sure cyborg arms aren’t too far from being reality.

iamrobman iamrobman Artist from Batangas CIty, Philippines

I’m a left handed artist and if my left hand will be permanently paralyze or something…I am sure ,I will use my right hand and learn again little by little.haha.There’s nothing or none can stop me!I’m kidding.:p

bomazu bomazu Artist from United Kingdom

It’s a horrible thought. I’m actually dealing with something similar which seriously effect the amount of art I can produce. Art is my whole identity, as I’m sure it is for many of the artists here, so the thought of not being able to do it any more would be a serious blow to one’s self. Although I’m sure there is always other things one can do to fulfil one’s life. It’s just finding those things which resonate with us and make us happy :)

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission