Burnout

TenTimesKarma
posted by TenTimesKarma • 2 years ago

Interested in what you guys do when you get burned-out from designing. What do you guys do to get out of the funk and get back on designing.

Thanks!

15 Replies

RicoMambo RicoMambo Artist from Croatia

i dont have that problem, because design is only my hobby. i work in warehouse my day job and i relaxing from it with drawing and designing:)

TenTimesKarma TenTimesKarma Artist from Philippines

Ic, Good for you Rico (love your works btw) Designing used to be so relaxing to me also but now that i am older and it has become a way of living i find it stressful sometimes. I work in an advertising/web design agency and i design a lot of stuff 8 hours a day, when i get home after dinner i start working on designs for some freelance stuff and if i get some extra free time that’s when i design shirts (which always makes me giddy with excitement). It gets to a point sometimes that i would get burned out and just don’t want to do anything with design and just chill, be lazy and procrastinate. Sometimes when i get to that funk it takes me a while to get back on my feet and have a fresh head and get back to designing with a smile. That’s why I’m interested to hearing what you guys do when you get burned out. Thanks Rico~! Keep up the good work! (you should be designing full time Rico with that awesome skill of yours)

RicoMambo RicoMambo Artist from Croatia

im good with my situation:) i think that i dont want to work full time designing, lol. somehow i feel like im resting after my day job:)

That’s great Rico Good for you man. Don’t get me wrong. I love what i do and thank the heavens i get to do what i love everyday and make a living out of it. It’s just sometimes artists just get burned out. Would love to hear the other artists here and their opinions.

vinkay vinkay Artist from Philippines

just turn your hobby to a career bro.. :D

Be Confident

back to to your way where you started

be inspired .. look for inspiration..

don’t pressure your self.. just calm down… and relax for a while.. talk to a friend that may help you on your problem. ..

Nikoby Nikoby Artist from FL, United States

I usually turn on some of my favorite movies (usually animated) and get some comfort food going. Watching a Studio Ghibli helps get my mind cranking. Other times, when I know I have to work and be productive, I take sheets of paper and get all the bad drawings and ideas out of me.

Other times, I just don’t even care and I rest. Nothing wrong with taking a break.

melanies_felony melanies_felony Artist from Melbourne, Australia

I used to be able to get really into it, then I started studying design full-time and working in it part-time. It can really take the fun away from things when you have to do something. I started doing things outside of what I usually do- I get stuck on my computer between uni and work so I began hand-painting (which it turns out I’m terrible at), making silly crafts, I’ve been book binding and have been attending some Dr. Sketchies to get things going (they’re almost everywhere now). When I began doing creative things that were outside of my skill set and off of the computer I really found it to spark a lot of ideas and get me motivated again. Not sure if that helps at all

Thanks a lot guys! @fjon, your probably right. Nothing wrong with taking a break once in a while.
@melanies_felony – Thanks! Might go back and get my hand back into doing crafts and probably go back to painting.
Thanks guys!

thestray thestray Artist from United States

I decided a while ago that I’m just going to make art every day, period. If I don’t feel like drawing I do it anyway, if I’m not feeling particularly creative I just work on an older thing or do some studies. More often than not though, even when I’m not really in the mood to draw, once I start something eventually clicks and I go into my mode and I’m into it and focused. I’ve had some of my most productive days and successful pieces on days where I initially felt uninspired or burnt out. I think the trick is just to soldier on. We’re human, we’re going to have an off day here and there, but I think it’s important to make the effort anyway and not worry too much about it because there’s always tomorrow.

If you stop making art because you don’t feel like it, personally I think that more often than not just perpetuates itself and you just dig yourself into a hole. I feel like when you just focus on the process and buckle down and get stuff down regardless of how you’re feeling the problem will correct itself eventually, as opposed to focusing on the fact that you’re uninspired/unmotivated/burnt-out/etc because psychologically the more you dwell on a feeling the more you reinforce it.

Nikoby Nikoby Artist from FL, United States

Good points thestray. Sometimes pressing through a funk is required. It definitely makes you a better artist

shesmatilda shesmatilda Artist from Singapore

Good topic here tentimeskarma —— I suggest that do your main thing =) .
I resigned to my previous work just a couple of months ago, I was a web designer too , I love the job and the work what I didn’t like is the “freedom of doing what I want” and so I quit with no fear ahead of me or any worries about money or etc. I just decided that I want to live on what I want that is to “design my own design”
Just be creative on everything around you and money on freelance works will come along the way… it’s a great feeling dude, you know why? you cannot be burned out with something your really desire to do .. know why?
Because you love it! and that’s “PASSION” =)
I hope I helped you with some insights dude, everybody is a good artists here and so are you ….. =)

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember