How did you came to join DBH?

ronna15
posted by ronna15 • 1 year ago

It’s late and I can’t sleep, so I’m just here cruising around DBH when I suddenly remembered how I came to have known and loved DBH and was wondering if others have unique stories as well. So here’s how mine goes.

It’s December 2007, I was a junior in high school, my family moved to America from the Philippines one year ago. I was a loner, a 15yr. old junior because we didn’t have middle school in the Philippines, so I didn’t skip any grade. I’ve been taking art classes, and even though I’ve drawn since I can remember, I has no idea what I what major to take that would be what I love to do, but could land me a job. I was clueless. I decided one day in the library where I spend most of my time, to look up online one of the students in my old high school back in the Philippines. CSJ89, which most of you might know won the 2009 10k, was an upperclassmen my freshmen year in my old high school. He was one of the students who would be in the art competitions I joined back home, and one of the really good ones. So I looked up what he’s been doing and found out about DBH through him. I talked to him about what’s a good major to go into. After that, I’ve joined DBH and fell in love with it. I’ve seen artworks printed into shirt and realize, I want to that. I don’t just want to make art, I want to make design it for something. So, I picked up a graphic design class my senior, learned Adobe for the first time (which I have never heard of before), then took graphic design as a major in college.

This coming fall will be my senior year in college then I’m off to the real world!; and I can’t help but smile to realize just how much this community has helped me. I’ve been a member of DBH for 5 years; I’ve been in this country for 6. I’ve talked to amazing artists here who share the passion I have. I had hope that there are amazing artist in my homeland who actually pursue their dreams, which is rare in the Philippines because it’s not practical. Well these guys, Dzeri29, SPYKEE, Zerobriant, Csj89, Collisiontheory and many more have definitely proven them wrong. I’ve yet to win, but I’ve grown so much since my first clusterf*ck design. DBH literally opened the art and design world for me. Thanks!

Ok, I’m getting sentimental now. So, anyone wanna share their story?

P.S. Links:
2009 10k: http://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/detail/men/5330/
Csj89: http://www.designbyhumans.com/profile/csj89/
Zerobriant: http://www.designbyhumans.com/profile/zerobriant/
SPYKEEE: http://www.designbyhumans.com/profile/spykeee
Dzeri29: http://www.designbyhumans.com/profile/dzeri29/
Collisiontheory: http://www.designbyhumans.com/profile/collisiontheory/

10 Replies

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

Ronna15, what a cool story thanks for sharing.

I joined DBH on it’s launch, I am human 76 and loved it from day one. I submitted for 3 years and won around 7 times. I visited L.A and I met up with the founders of DBH. We kept in touch and over time I visited more and more. I moved to the USA from the UK in 2010. I freelanced for 6 months and then I got a call from DBH. I interviewed and got the job as Art Director and started the next week! I learnt a lot and within a year I was well acquainted with the world of screen printing and T-shirts. Last year I was promoted to Creative Director and I couldn’t be happier. DBH is an awesome place to work and I look forward to every day.

gavind gavind Human from United States

Hi ronna. I like the story. I wish you luck in the future.

pinkstorm pinkstorm Artist from Philippines

A great community it is. Love to hear stories like this. Best of luck to your designing career ronna. Hope to see more of your works here in DBH. :)

ronna15 ronna15 Artist from United States

@pinkstorm Thank! Working on some designs for the summer. I’m gonna make an awesome comeback. I sh*t you not. :)

manupix manupix Artist from France

Cool stories =)
I had visited DBH a few times and thought of joining (I submit on another well-known website ;) no luck so far :(
I learned about the 8-bit contest by pure chance 3 days before the deadline. Since I’m into pixel-art I deceided to join and enter.

Nikoby Nikoby Artist from FL, United States

I saw a link from gomedia’s blog in 2009 that told me of dbh’s existence. My first time entering the t-shirt world. I was tantalized. I still am. At the time, I was still studying graphic design in college. I was still learning and I still continue to learn. But I owe a lot to dbh, because it really pushed me to go further than I thought I could. I know I wouldn’t be where I am skill-wise if I had not kept up with subbing to designbyhumans and other such sites.

That’s my short story and I am sticking to it. Good topic Ronna!

ronna15 ronna15 Artist from United States

“It’s Alive!!!” Just bumpin’ my post from last year. Still a cool topic to hear from others :)

- r{e}

ADAMLAWLESS ADAMLAWLESS Artist from Johor Bahru, Marshall Islands

Hi Ronna, thanks for sharing, wow…good to hear you still live your dreams.
I’m 100% human, a Singaporean, 46 yrs old with 3 kids and found DBH 2012 when a friend asking for votes on FB. Yeah, compare to some other site/company DBH gives me more hope. Good luck to your future endeavors! :-)

graphicollapse graphicollapse Artist from garut, Indonesia

hi ronna .. before joining DBH, i never submit any design to other site.. last year my first artwork submitted to DBH.. as long as here i can improve my own style, my skill, get a clients, and so much more.. thanks DBH :D

neil95 neil95 Artist from United States

I was at Epcot in Disney World and saw Collision Theory’s amazing 1000 Cranes tshirt. But it wasn’t in my size. So I looked at the tag and saw DBH’s name. So I went online and bought the shirt from DBH. I’ve been here since.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember