Colors, colors and more colors

sidsky
posted by sidsky • 2 years ago

Hi people!
You don’t know me, and I don’t know you, and I guess it wont change untill I find out how to deal with colors. ;)
I’ve read DBH 101’s, searched through forums, but I still have no idea how the colors of design are counted.
My eyes tell me that designs like this:

or this:

have waaaay more than 8 colors, and not much half-tones. Yet they’ve got printed.
So, how the colors are counted, how do I avoid breaking magic number of 8 and – what probably would solve my second question – how the gradient colors are counted? What is percieved as gradient in DBH terms?
Thanks in advance!

3 Replies

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

Hi,

Altitude sickness is 10 colors, 10 is actually our limit but we only go there if the design is truly awesome. The Pianist is 8 colors. Making the colors appear in this way (like they used a million colors) is achieved through using halftones. You can find tutorials all over the web about how to make and use halftones. There are a few different ways to use them.
Also do not think that the more colors you use the more chance you have of winning, we have had some very popular designs just using one color.

sidsky sidsky Artist from Poland

Hi,

Thanks for response. I guess my perception of what halftones are was…ummm….oh well. It’s good I’ve asked uncle google ;) Still I can’t believe that The Pianist is 8 colors only…
Anyway, I don’t think that more colors = more chance, but I think that one color is good for those who can draw by hand, and I have no talent in this direction. Only full color photoshopping makes me happy ;)

Cheers!

AsakuraStudio AsakuraStudio Human from United States

love this stuff

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember