Illustrator mask help?

Ampix0
posted by Ampix0 • 2 years ago

I have only been using illustrator for about a year now (and not often) so forgive me. But I am playing around with an old feather of mine in illustrator, playing around with it. and I want to create a simple mask, or what should be simple.
the feather is an object with solid white, and the stem in a group. The stripes are a group. I want a clipping mask so they fit inside the feather. If i apply a mask. CRAZY stuff happens, lol. What is the correct way to do this?

8 Replies

Ampix0 Ampix0 Artist from NJ, United States

I did just figure it out ni a way im sure is not the most efficient. I made multiple copies of the same layer one with a mask and fill and one with just the outline and the end result it what I wanted, though I feel there is a better way.

This should better explain the same issue as i just posted. see here, I have the desired result. The blue liquid seems to be behind the feather, but I have 2 feathers. one with the stripes in the mask, and one with white fill. And in the t-shirt biz im sure the white fill isn’t wanted.

forgot the pic.

Katheebah Katheebah Artist from United States

This is pretty smooth looking, and bravo for figuring it out, I’m still relatively new and only use illustrator for text warping at this very moment

Well i rigged it, didnt really “figure it out” because there is still a white background, which i don’t want. I am just using it to hide the blue.

dandingeroz dandingeroz Artist from Philippines

cntrl + 7 clipping mask shortcut for windows

command +7 for MAC

AsakuraStudio AsakuraStudio Human from United States

oh i learned something new…thanks

jun087 jun087 Artist from Ipoh, Malaysia

you need to bring the feather outer shape in front before apply the mask.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember