Limited Edition Tank Tops

Software / hand-drawn - need advice...

villanova
posted by villanova • 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this whole process and while I read over DBH’s 101 (which is great), I still have some questions…

What software / tools do most people use to design?

Does anyone hand draw a design and then scan it…only to then edit it on the PC/Mac?

Thanks everyone.

12 Replies

Ampix0 Ampix0 Artist from NJ, United States

illustrator.

Wacoms inkling can literally allow you to draw on paper while making it digital at the same time.

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

Anyone used an Inkling? I’m really interested to see the results.

RicoMambo RicoMambo Artist from Croatia

I tried it, but I personally do not need it. its not 100% accurate, but lets say its very good for doodling. I think the most useful is to people who work in Illustrator… i dont:)

villanova villanova Human from PA, United States

Great feedback and is everyone working on a Mac or PC?

villanova villanova Human from PA, United States

Does anyone hand draw things though?

wotto wotto Staff: Creative Director from CA, United States

Thanks Rico, maybe I should invest although my cintiq is probably a better option.

RicoMambo RicoMambo Artist from Croatia

@villanova Does anyone hand draw things though?.
..my last 2 subs here, vote:)

Wotto, cintiq is for work, inkling is for fun:) so, You know

JustPetrucci JustPetrucci Artist from Washington, United States

@ wotto: I have an Inkling, and it is SO BOMB!! I love it! I just draw a guy out in pencil (So I can erase and stuff), then once he’s the way I like, I go over him with the Inkling pen, then upload to Illustrator and go over him again…it’s way great. Especially since I kinda suck at using my Bamboo tablet… :P

This is my latest guy I made with my Inkling:
The Huntsman

JustPetrucci JustPetrucci Artist from Washington, United States

@ villanova: I used to scan them and put them into Illustrator before my Inkling came along. It works, but the Inkling I think works better because every line you draw is converted into a path so you can move and resize as needed once it’s in Illustrator.

Most of the time I just go over my designs with the pen tool. As an animator, I like getting a clean look for my designs, which is why some people may notice my designs aren’t as messy as other people’s…it’s just my style habit for animating! :P

Sorool Sorool Artist from United States

I use ArtStudio. It only costs 1.99

AshleyLauren AshleyLauren Artist from United States

I hand draw a lot of my designs then scan and then Photoshop it. Illustrator is a great way too, to have a very clean piece of art work (Vector) just as JustPetrucci was saying.

AshleyLauren AshleyLauren Artist from United States

I don’t have a tablet or Inkling, strictly hand drawn art work, whether pencil or inking (with real pens). Then I scan it and use whatever program I see fit to give the design the final touches. I would love to have a tablet though like an Intuos. Oh, and I’m using a PC.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember