Practice makes perfect I suppose?

Ampix0
posted by Ampix0 • 2 years ago

I am 18 years old and have been using adobe photoshop since I was in 6th grade, and illustrator for about 2ish years now. I totally suck at drawing though, legitimately am like a two-year-old when it comes to drawing.

Can you guys offer any tips or and tuts I should see? anything of that nature. I took drawing in highschool lol and I was proud of maybe two things in there but you get the point.

7 Replies

DreamsofGrandeur DreamsofGrandeur Artist from United Kingdom

The best thing that helped me was getting my first Wacom . Do you have one ?

Ampix0 Ampix0 Artist from NJ, United States

Actually yes I have had one for years but never really used it. I find it extremely difficult to use though. What i used it for when i first got it was just placing a drawing between the actual board and the plastic cover and tracing it (to think of it, I think i was better at drawing when I was 10).

The design im working on now pretty much requires I draw a tree, at least the trunk and I am seriously dissatisfied with the overall shape, not even talking about details.

Fantomex Fantomex Artist from Queensland, Australia

The best advice i can give is a few things:

1) don’t be afraid to practice/use picture & photo references for anything that you draw – in time you’ll put to memory how to draw the shape and detail of various things & there’s no shame in using them.

2) if you can, give Life Drawing classes a go – it’s one of the best ways to understand and perfect figure drawing and loose sketching.

3) just keep on drawing.. everyone has a billion crap drawings in them.. and eventually they’ll get their own style down pat.. just look & compare the first and current issues and drawings of comic/web comic and manga artists working on long lasting serials: like mishimoto in naruto, gabe at penny arcade & cassaday in planetary.. they were industry working artists then and their skill has quadrupled due to constantly drawing

hopefully that helps.. of course these aren’t the only tips, there are various more things that can affect your ability – and no two people are alike..

Thanks for the great tips! +1

AgostoFilipino AgostoFilipino Artist from Manila, Philippines

If you have talent in both photoshop and illustrator, you can create your own style. Just like studio8 abstract style. I remember when I was just a newbie here. I had a chance to interview Yonil, one of the great artist here, and I learned from his work the importance of concept. You’re not merely creating a drawing, you create logic, idea and story to leave your audience thinking, not just liking you work. Goodluck bro!

JustPetrucci JustPetrucci Artist from Washington, United States

I have a Wacom Bamboo and I never use it. It’s just too hard to draw on that tiny surface, which usually doesn’t cover your whole work area on the monitor. But NOW I have the Wacom Inkling, and it’s AWESOME! You draw with the pen and the pen remembers what you drew! Then you import to Illustrator and go at it with the pen tool! Totally legit…

(BTW: The pen tool is your best friend in Illustrator. All of my stuff = pen tool. The downside: Everything looks ridiculously clean and traced… :P )

I was a big fan of inkling when i first saw the videos for it. I didn’t realize it was out now. It looks fantastic thought I had heard mixed reviews. Completely worth every penny of the $200 if it helps be get even one shirt printed, pays for itself 5 times over. What I am going to do is just practice drawing for a few weeks and see if I think the investment is worth it. If I lack skill it wont make sense lol.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission