Whatcha readin?

bedwyr678
posted by bedwyr678 • 3 years ago

So… I’m always looking for something great to read. I love classics (Dickens, Jane Austen, Mark Twain etc.), fantasy, and manga. Do you have any suggestions? Also, I’m curious to hear what everyone’s reading. I just love books!

14 Replies

BondageBoyScout BondageBoyScout Human from

Fantasy:
(fantasy with humor)-Martinez- Monster – The Death gate cycle (Weis Hickman) – I just finished one from the 70’s- Riddle Master of Hed, it was decent. Currently reading The Golden Torc – this has fantasy elements- Gargoyle – Davidson – Sentinel Spire

This is my Shelfari

-http://www.shelfari.com/maskedhaven/shelf

LittleBubbles LittleBubbles Human from Spain

My suggestion will be:

- Fairytale in New York. – The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, if you haven’t readed it yet. – The God Delusion.

bedwyr678 bedwyr678 Human from

(to BondageBoyScout: I looked at your shelfari and I saw that you have The Book of Three on there, and it just made me incredibly happy. That was the first book I got seriously hooked to, Lloyd Alexander is my favorite author. No matter how many times I read his books they seem to get better and better no matter what age group they’re targeted at.)

thank you I’ll have to look some of those up .

cbass99 cbass99 Artist from California, United States

I’m reading the new book by Neil Strauss, the reporter for Rolling Stone Magazine. It contains all of the interviews that didn’t make the cut. Slipnot, Snoop, Spears, Strokes and tons of other interesting interviews that never made it to the light of day.

the_riesen the_riesen Human from

Catch-22 – Joseph Heller (hilarious, satirical, and an all-time classic)

Shutter Island – Dennis Lehane (very sad, it made me cry)

Gone Baby, Gone – Dennis Lehane (very messed up story, describes south boston so well it feels like i have already been there.)

The Wish Giver – (classic tale that i read in middle school, but definitely shouldn’t have. It was horrible and had people dieing gruesome deaths. A must read.)

upinthestarsx3 upinthestarsx3 Artist from United States
the_riesen said: Catch-22 – Joseph Heller (hilarious, satirical, and an all-time classic)

yes! that book is amazing..picked it to read for my summer reading before my freshman year of high school and loved it!

hmmm..don’t really have any suggestions. my favorite fantasy novels are the inkheart series (the books, not the lame movie…did i mention it was lame?) and the uglies series, but that’s more girly.

OOH i would suggest Ender’s game by Orson Scott Card. pretty awesome book.
Also The Chosen by Chaim Potok is a classic, but it’s a little bit slow in parts.

if you wanna know what i’m reading right now it’s a book called the ghost and the goth…yeah, i’m into girly books, whateves. i’m a girl. so deal with it. hopefully i’ll read the hunger games soon.

also, i haven’t read it yet but unwind by neil shusterman is on my reading list..sounds like your kind of book.

lindsayerinn lindsayerinn Artist from United States

It’s probably not within your interests, but some of my all time favorite books are the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. There are 17 books in the series so far, and they are very, very funny. The release number of each book is in each book’s respective title.

Karyn2002 Karyn2002 Human from United States

I agree with Lindsey on the Stephanie Plum

susie susie Artist from

i loved susan cooper and lloyd alexander when i was a child, so mary stewart’s merlin series was my bridge to adult literature. other fantasists i recommend are jeff vandermeer and china mieville, and my holy trinity of borges/calvino/kafka. v

you should also treat yourself to reading victor hugo, a.s. byatt, salman rushdie, and kobo abe. i feel transported when i read their works.

manga: “lone wolf and cub” and “jojo’s bizarre adventure” are both great.

jaawz jaawz Human from

At the moment im reading “ The Truth About Innovation “ by Max McKeown :)
I liked “ Think Big and Kick Ass in Business and Life “ by Donald Trump aswell !
Lots of good reading out there , use google.com for right one :p

BondageBoyScout BondageBoyScout Human from

switching between a few and never really finishing any.

twilightbeast666 twilightbeast666 Artist from Netherlands

I am reading Micheal Scott – The Warlock, great writer and even more awesome book serie. .
It’s a book about the world of Nicholas Flamel. (Mentioned in Harry Potter and Philosopher’s stone.)
Check it out, it’s really worth it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alchemyst:_The_Secrets_of_the_Immortal_Nicholas_Flamel

GodComplex GodComplex Artist from

House of Leaves- a dark novel of mind-bending literary cult-classic status. The author has an originality unrepresented by anyone else, curiously twisting the typography of the novel to often reflect the characters mental states as well as some physical events of the story. The layers of interpretive depth and meaning makes the movie “Inception” look shallow. Author, Mark Z. Danielewski.

Coming of Age at the End of History- a brilliant translation from a French author under the psuedonymn, Camille De Toledo. One of the most poetic books I have ever read, despite it not being an intentionally poetic work. It is a sociological counterculture manifesto that is more lucid than many similar attempts at a subject far too easy to decimate. Most excellent, though certainly not for everyone. Particulary intended for the generation coming of age around the time of the collapse of the Berlin wall. Cannot praise this man’s work enough.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy- I would never leave Earth without it. By the indispensable, Mr. Douglas Adams; the world lost a most brilliant, witty, observant, soul the day he passed away.

The Story of B- a novel with a philosophical backing promoting animism through anthropomorphic reflection. Exceptional food for thought on cultural variance. Difficult to describe in short words, but worth a look for anyone hoping for something of great philosophical substance convey through a novel whose story is well worth enjoying by its own merit. By Daniel Quinn.

My favorites. :)

thestray thestray Artist from United States

Was reading this

Pretty good, it’s a series of short stories by Stephen King, it’s the first time I’ve actually ever read anything by Stephen King, I guess I just don’t really get into horror that much so I never tried any of his books.

I was well into the 2nd short story when THIS came in the mail

I love Tina Fey, she’s one of my inspirations. I meant to hold off on reading this til I finished Full Dark No Stars, but I couldn’t help cracking it open. Pretty hilarious read, and lots of good insight on working in comedy.

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission