Limited Edition Tank Tops

Radiomode Artist Interview

DBHstaff
posted by DBHstaff • 2 years ago

Radio modes t shirt threads

Budi Satria Kwan AKA RadioMode Artist Interview

PPPRadiomode, AKA Budi Satria Kwan is an inspirational artist who has had his work printed on T-shirts all over the world. He has worked with Yahoo, Tiger Beer and Urban Outfitters and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Budi’s work has a cool sense of humor, unique concepts and usually an important message. His ability to convey messages and ideas visually puts him head and shoulders above many other designers out there. I got the pleasure of his company and we exchanged questions for answers.

SoundWave Shirts Abstract Pattern Budi Crash and Burn Radio Mode

Budi Satria Kwan Surreal and Colorful T Shirt Designs

Q: Radiomode! Tell us where the heck that name came from?

A: During my high school time, I was living in boarding house. I did not own TV, ipod (or any kind of digital music player) or Internet. I passed my time listening to radio. During that time I remembered every song in the chart. I also predicted which song would be no.1 quite accurately. Radio is something that is dear to me.

Q: You have had prints all over the world at many different sites, which tee are you most pleased with once it was printed?

A: This tee: http://www.threadless.com/product/534/7_00 (sorry DBH), since it was my first printed design. I was on Threadless for 2 years before I got my first print, so it felt like heaven.

Budi Satria Kwan RadiomodeQ: Do you freelance full-time or do you have a day job too, if so what is it?

A: I do freelance full time.

Q: You have won the design contest 7 times at DBH and I would like to know which is your favorite and why?

A: PPP perversion of paranoid populace

The thing about this design is that I couldn’t recall how I started it or how it ended. It just happened. However I was really satisfied by the end result and so far, it is my favorite design that’s been printed by DBH.

Q: A lot of your work seems to be strong in concept, is that where your shirt designs begin?

A: Sometimes I already have a solid idea about the concept and execution. Sometimes the concept is collateral. Like when you are drawing an elephant than somewhere in the middle you realize that the elephant looks more like a rhino, then you decided to create a totally new species.

Q: Tell us a little bit about your design process, how does an idea become a reality?

A: Lately most of my works starts in Photoshop. I only use pencil and paper when there is no computer around, like when I was waiting for a bus. I start with finding reference pictures (esp when the idea involves a detailed object). After that I arrange the composition, sketch it and finalized it.

Q: Do you ever hide elements within shirt designs that are personal to you, like a small signature etc?

A: Sometimes, but I wont tell.

Q: If I asked you to name one apparel designer who you consider to be an inspiration who would it be?

A: For a graphic designer who is doing apparel work: Grotesk
Very colorful, very tight, very clean, very “in”.

Q:  PPP is a very popular shirt design and it seems to have a strong statement, did you intend to make a bold statement about T.V or CCTV?

A: I do not believe that CCTV should be used as a means to control. Placing a recording eye and expecting people to behave is not the answer.

Q: If you could pick a t shirt design by another artist you think deserves to be printed here at DBH, what would it be?

A: I love pattern and minimalist. This design somehow sticks to my mind: http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/48524

Q: Finally, you have just discovered a huge government conspiracy. Do you tell the world or keep it to yourself for fear of sounding crazy?

A: I would probably keep it to myself because:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

Budi Satria Kwan

Portfolio: http://www.budikwan.com/
Shoppe: http://www.concreterocket.com/

RadioMode’s T Shirt Store

Dragon Fire Star Collision Shirt The Land to Nowhere The All Seeing Eye

14 Replies

Carli Carli Artist from Denmark

Yay! Such an amazing artist!

Ingkong Ingkong Artist from Philippines

such an inspirational artist…

onin onin Artist from Philippines

you are so good sir..:)..

dzeri29 dzeri29 Artist from Manila, Philippines

Such an amazing artist!

deyaz deyaz Artist from Indonesia

Yay..BudiKwan is Artist RuarrBiasa!

eQuivalent eQuivalent Artist from Indonesia

Great artist! salut :)

robbyiodized robbyiodized Artist from Philippines

yeah!

song song Artist from Dubai, UAE / Manila, Philippines

2 years before a print.. Print can wait :D Very good read..

free_agent08 free_agent08 Artist from Philippines

Really Inspiring Artist!

IAMDOOOM IAMDOOOM Artist from United Kingdom

Great interview!

GODZILLARGE GODZILLARGE Artist from Indonesia

sembah sujud

TenTimesKarma TenTimesKarma Artist from Philippines

Awesome artist! love your brand Concrete Rocket!

Outcast84 Outcast84 Artist from Philippines

Very inspiring to know that even legends struggle in the beginning. We just have to believe in our struggle and keep pushing forward, it will all pay-off eventually.

SteveOramA SteveOramA Artist from Colorado, United States

great interview and awesome designs, as usual!

• Reason for reporting this post:

• Note: this is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising, illegal, and abusive posts/replies.

Please log in to add your comment.

Login

Forgot Password?
or
Login with Facebook

• One less password to remember
  • Easily share with your friends
  • We never post without your permission

Register, New Human!

or
Join DBH with Facebook

• One less password to remember